Help with avocado plant - White bugs in soil and pale leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been struggling with my avocado plant. I need to repot it in a bigger pot according to one of the other users and the pot needs better drainage. I am planning on exporting it soon but as I look at the soil, I seen some white bugs in the soil. What are these bugs and can they be affecting the health of my plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
2643E719-8F0B-4D45-9F40-7C2D18BC2976.jpeg
A43DD31F-ADEA-409D-8965-17A47B6D8E5A.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those appear to be root aphids and definitely will affect your plant. But, I also think that your plant has more wrong with it than root aphids. It appears to show the effects of the soil staying too wet as shown by the leaf tips browning and curling. Also, the plant is suffering from a nutrient deficiency, more than likely iron but probably other trace minerals as well. If it were me, when you repot (soon) wash away ALL of the soil from the roots and repot with new soil in order to take care of the aphids and their eggs. This will be much better than using a soil drench trying to get rid of them. Also, when you repot, fertilize the replacement soil and apply a product such as Chelated Iron.

Ask a Question