Areca Palms, Starting to Look Weaker!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought three 1 gallon size Areca Palms from my local Walmart, mainly because they looked so healthy! I have had them on each side of my Balcony Door for several weeks now, I live right on the Beach so the sun in the Morning is Blinding! but they are on the sides of the door! I have watered them twice! I read about not over watering, and I even drained the saucer under the pot as It said I should! The water runs through that dry soil and out the bottom holes, like it was not even in there! and the soil always seems very Dry! I don't know if that is normal? and also I left them in the plastic containers they came in. Mainly it's just they are starting to look a little droopy! they don't seem to be holding that stiff vertical position! One of them even dropped over an entire branch recently! so I finally cut it off! ...Maybe their not getting enough direct sun? ...I Would appreciate some opinions! Thank You

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Morning sun might be enough, but Areca Palm (Dypsis lutescens, native to Madagascar) does want some direct light to grow well.

Water often, but don't let the soil be saturated or otherwise poorly drained.

If water is not wetting the root ball this could be a sign of either or both of the plant being rootbound or the soil having become over dry and now hydrophobic. If possible, soak the pot overnight in a large bucket, just to rewet the root ball. The plant should not be constantly soaked like that. Also repot the palm to a pot size a few inches wider and deepr. That will give you X more years of growth before constricted roots again becomes an issue.

Fertilize your palm with a complete fertilzer. Continue to do this monthly into the future or use a time-releese formula according to the recommended schedule.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If possible, soak the root ball to the top or nearly so, but if you can't fit it all in the bucket, just do the best you can.

Being rootbound refers to a state where the roots in a container are so dense and constricted that they are causing the plant to lose vigor. The exact degree where being rootbound becomes a problem will vary by species and environment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank You for your Help! ...I have 3 Palms and I Soaked them all in a bucket overnight, and now they are back in their normal, and I believe they are looking better already! I'm thinking about Re Potting them, so I bought a bag of potting soil. Is there is any particular method I should use to re-pot them? ...Such as do I need Gravel on the Bottoms? ...should I mix the potting soil with what soil was in the nursery's container? ...or just fill the new soil around the edges?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
That's great that they are doing better. A soak can be a fine tonic for soil that has become over-dry.
Any regular potting soil should be fine for re-potting. Keep the rootball intact. Just fill in with new soil around the sides and underneath.

Last edited:

Ask a Question