Are you planting garlic this year?

Jed

Reaction score
They did? I have put some garlic cloves into my miniature roses soil because I have a problem with these strange worms. It was a few days ago. Now I'm starting to think that maybe it will sprout too:p
My first thought was nematodes. I'm not familiar with growing roses so I googled up this.
Nematodes or roundworms are microscopic, worm-like creatures (Figure 6). Most soil-dwelling nematodes are harmless, but some are serious rose pests. The most common and serious nematode rose pest is the root knot nematode (Meloidogyne hapla).
LyraEDISServlet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Jed, believe it or not, we have possums roaming our neighborhood (as well as stray cats) here in the city. It probably doesn't help that I live near the river, but thankfully I haven't heard of too many other "wild" animal sightings nearby.

Someone claimed to have seen a raccoon a few blocks a way, which I didn't believe, but I a few months ago I saw one in a backyard across town. The storms have been driving all manner of animals in more and more each year.

I have been hesitant to compost outdoors with food scraps because of the potential for critters getting into it, but now I am going to have to really think about what I plant and how to protect it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My first thought was nematodes. I'm not familiar with growing roses so I googled up this.
Nematodes or roundworms are microscopic, worm-like creatures (Figure 6). Most soil-dwelling nematodes are harmless, but some are serious rose pests. The most common and serious nematode rose pest is the root knot nematode (Meloidogyne hapla).
LyraEDISServlet

Yuck, these nematodes look awful:eek: . I hope it's not what jumps on my roses soil... I'm not sure, but 'my' worms are a little bit thicker than nematodes and not so long. I'll google them to find more pictures. Thank you for your help!

Jed

Reaction score
I have been hesitant to compost outdoors with food scraps because of the potential for critters getting into it, but now I am going to have to really think about what I plant and how to protect it.
Kitchen scrap compost can and will attract rats. Once you supply a food source they will also eat your seedlings. We caught a native rat recently in a live trap that was eating the tops out of seedling cabbages.

Two days later. I finally pulled some garlic and as per usual I had some diseased garlic from a garden I hadn't used for a number of years. Not sure how devastated the garlic will be. I must start pulling asap.:eek:

9179_10200305309621715_1191006520_n.jpg

Reaction score
If so what cool kinds are you going to grow, and what time of year do you plant garlic where you live? I have 5 varieties this year and will plant next month.
Always I grow it year round, but it does grow slower through the cooler months, I always use on of the purple varieties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Kitchen scrap compost can and will attract rats.

Well, I haven't had that problem so I'm not worried anymore. Of course it's been cold and that may have something to do with it... I guess time will tell.

Most of my garlic has perished. I had a few left that I'd set outside, but I think they just got too much water from all the rain. (It's all in containers) The green tops were still intact up til a few days ago, but last I checked the soil was oversaturated and the greens were limp. I'm not sure the plants have recieved enough sun either.

Reaction score
Kitchen scrap compost can and will attract rats. Once you supply a food source they will also eat your seedlings. We caught a native rat recently in a live trap that was eating the tops out of seedling cabbages.

Two days later. I finally pulled some garlic and as per usual I had some diseased garlic from a garden I hadn't used for a number of years. Not sure how devastated the garlic will be. I must start pulling asap.:eek:

9179_10200305309621715_1191006520_n.jpg
I've never had that problem, I live in an area where rats are a problem too.. But I do bait quite often just in case.

Reaction score
Soooo much to learn! Maybe I should leave it in the fridge until it sprouts. One article on growing it indoors says it's easy and a great project for kids. If kids can do it, I ought to be able to!

Do you ever eat the sprouted garlic? Some Chinese people sprout the garlic on purpose until it looks like chives and then use the sprouts in recipes.
I found a recipe on Pinterest for garlic sprouts and pork stir fry.

http://chowstalker.com/2012/11/shredded-pork-and-garlic-sprouts-stir-fry/

Jed

Reaction score
Most of my garlic has perished. I had a few left that I'd set outside, but I think they just got too much water from all the rain. (It's all in containers) The green tops were still intact up til a few days ago, but last I checked the soil was oversaturated and the greens were limp. I'm not sure the plants have recieved enough sun either.
So true. Over watered plants both in the ground and pots is certainly a sure killer.
I've never had that problem, I live in an area where rats are a problem too.. But I do bait quite often just in case.
We've had a rampant rat problem with them demolishing our beetroot.Because of native wildlife especially birds, owls and native ravens, poisoned rats are not so good for them so I try hard to catch live and then to deal with them.Some rats are also a native species which are under threat by introduced rats.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I was dumping out the last containers that had held the last surviving garlic when I noticed this thing that looked like a tiny pearl onion. It had been inside of what was formerly a clove of garlic. I had been waiting and waiting for the green tops to come back and had finally given up. When I saw these little bulbs I decided to try and replant them. I have them in soil on the windowsill now hoping they'll come back.

It's been raining so much this spring and now this weekend the temperature is supposed to drop again so I am afraid to set them outside. It's only going to get down in the 50s but I wonder if I shouldn't cover the basil I set out already and the lavender.

Reaction score
I was dumping out the last containers that had held the last surviving garlic when I noticed this thing that looked like a tiny pearl onion. It had been inside of what was formerly a clove of garlic. I had been waiting and waiting for the green tops to come back and had finally given up. When I saw these little bulbs I decided to try and replant them. I have them in soil on the windowsill now hoping they'll come back.

It's been raining so much this spring and now this weekend the temperature is supposed to drop again so I am afraid to set them outside. It's only going to get down in the 50s but I wonder if I shouldn't cover the basil I set out already and the lavender.
This happens with most bulbs. I almost dumped some of my joseph's lilies and saw that they had formed a strong root system. I always have to remind myself to be patient .. and keep waiting. It is almost like a spiritual thing.. just as you get ready to bail out something happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, Maddie, I'm learning that even in the fall I won't see much growth. I planted stuff at the end of August and what didn't perish on the windowsill, barely had any growth. I was worried the lemon basil wouldn't survive and a couple weeks ago it suddenly tripled in height. If it survives the deluge I suppose it will flower soon.

The garlic was sprouted in either late November or early December. I have a feeling a better time to do it would be February, but many things would be easier with a greenhouse and more in-ground planting area. Then again, I'd likely have more pest problems (sigh).

Jed

Reaction score
Well here I'm preparing the soil for this years garlic planting. I'm about to lime up the garden and wait a week or two before planting.
Here's a picture of some of this years crop. It was generally a good crop with only 7% wiped out by onion white root rot which is far better than years gone by with 80% or more. :(

935239_550943294957533_1791643341_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, this is a lot of beautiful garlic...it looks like a decoration:D I never eat garlic because I can't stand the taste of it but it looks really pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Here's a picture of some of this years crop. It was generally a good crop with only 7% wiped out by onion white root rot which is far better than years gone by with 80% or more. :(

Showoff! LOL Maybe we should just let you do all of our growing, Jed. It was so windy last night I was afraid for my younger plants. Basil doesn't like that kind of chill in the air, and after all the rain we had all week I am afraid of what I might find out there.

Ask a Question