Are you planting garlic this year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It is still pretty warm here, so maybe I still have time to plant? Also, it doesn't get that cold during the winter. I have sprouted garlic before and just assumed it hadn't grown because something had eaten it. (Which is why I want to try growing it in a pot this time.) Now I am wondering if a variety suited for warmer climates would be the best to try.

Reaction score
What zone are you in? I am zone 6 and will plant my hardnecks soon. In warmer climates there are certain kinds that do better, if you don't get cold enough you can put them in the fridge for 40 days before planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am in zone 9. So I guess if I put several cloves in the fridge now I could plant them around Thanksgiving. I'll have to remember to pick some up when I go out tomorrow.

Reaction score
We get pretty hot during the summer, but we have a cold winter, so it does well here. Our summers get into the 100 degree mark, we have almost no humidity or rain in the summer, lucky for us we do have irrigation. Good luck!!

I see there is a location, would be nice if we could get people to use it.... Please??

Reaction score
So, it is possible to grow edible garlic from the garlic you buy in the grocery store? I'd love to give it a try if that's the case.

Reaction score
Go for it, won't cost much to give it a try. I have heard some have good luck with it. I think growing garlic is one of the more easy things to grow. I plant in the fall, mulch it up good, make sure it has good fertilizer and forget it for the winter. If you enjoy it you can order different kinds for next year, or find someone who grows a different variety and get a bit to start your own stand.

Jed

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Some imported garlic is irradiated and this inhibits the garlic from sprouting. Ensure you buy local if you can otherwise you may go to all of the trouble to sow and not many plants will germinate.Here's a link you may find intresting
http://www.gmagazine.com.au/blog/521/is-your-garlic-irradiated

In that case it is probably better to wait for the garlic to sprout before planting it so you don't waste your effort. I don't have the space to grow a big crop of it so it won't be that big of a loss for me, but I don't like the idea of irradiated garlic so I am going to have to start paying attention to where the stores get it from.

Jed

Reaction score
In that case it is probably better to wait for the garlic to sprout before planting it so you don't waste your effort.
That is such a good idea.:) I've had few left over garlic cloves from my planting and thrown them on top of the soil and eventually they sent out their roots. This would probably only work well in temperate areas where there is autumn rain. I guess you could put them under a piece of old carpet or straw in the garden and ensure it stays wet checking from time to time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So, garlic needs a lot of moisture in the fall, cold in the winter, and then it starts producing come spring? Because of limited space I will be growing in pots and I am looking into growing it indoors. I found a lot of articles on the subject as well as links to some you tube videos. If my garlic growing is successful I think I'll try onions next time.

Reaction score
You will LOVE home grown garlic! Good luck! I was taught to mulch the garlic pretty heavy, it retains the moisture and in my area keeps the soil warmer for a time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Soooo much to learn! Maybe I should leave it in the fridge until it sprouts. One article on growing it indoors says it's easy and a great project for kids. If kids can do it, I ought to be able to!

Reaction score
I would like to grow garlic. I bought some from the farmers market this year to eat but I assume I can plant it instead. I have had store bought garlic sprout when I waited to long to use it up.

Does one clove of garlic grow into a bulb? Is the fall the right time to plant it? and when do you harvest it? Is the bulb the only edible part of the plant or is it like an onion where you can eat the green stalks that come out of the top too? This sounds like such an adventure for me. I might plant some in a pot in my kitchen as well just to watch it grow over the winter.

Ask a Question