Vernalizing garlic in a freezer and planting periodically?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey I live in florida and tho our winters do get cold where I live, its not always consistent and I would hate for my crop to devurnilive before they sprout. Is it possible to store cloves planted in soil in a freezer for a period of time, then plant during spring or end of fall to ensure growth? Very new to growing garlic but would love to grow it on a bulk scale to sell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey I live in florida and tho our winters do get cold where I live, its not always consistent and I would hate for my crop to devurnilive before they sprout. Is it possible to store cloves planted in soil in a freezer for a period of time, then plant during spring or end of fall to ensure growth? Very new to growing garlic but would love to grow it on a bulk scale to sell.
Most vernalization is done at 5C-10C (40F-50F). Putting them in a freezer might be a bit too much. I'd put them in the fridge instead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
agree, keep in mind, when in the ground the soil shelters bulbs from the real freezing weather. I know, in my area, after a good winter and lots of snow, 28 inches of it, my plants are so happy in spring.

Ask a Question