Are maggots unwanted in compost?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was just reading on another thread about using DE and someone mentioned about using it for "maggot free composting". I assume that is referring to fruit flies mostly. I am curious if that is something people try to avoid in their compost? I figured it just helps break it down faster having maggots and other munchy things living in it.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That sounds like someone who is squeamish...it is their loss because maggots are completely harmless and help accelerate decomposition.

In fact, in my household compost pile I would have to treat it with insecticides regularly to control them when in fact they are harmless.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That sounds like someone who is squeamish...it is their loss because maggots are completely harmless and help accelerate decomposition.

In fact, in my household compost pile I would have to treat it with insecticides regularly to control them when in fact they are harmless.
That is what I figure also, that they are helpful. The member that posted it didn't say it was a good idea but they copied and pasted something from Google and it was in that, that mentioned one of the uses for DE. It just didn't make any sense to me, and as you said the amount of DE that would be needed to even slightly control the amount of larvae in a compost pile would be massive lol.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Did they copy someone with an interest in selling DE ?
No, just the Google search result. I'm sure they just posted it as a way of saying how it works without really thinking about what it said about the uses for it. I just thought it was odd because if it comes up in Google that means there are a lot of people that use it for that. And, I didn't want to railroad the thread because it's new so I made this just out of curiosity how many people kill those little munching machines in their compost.

When I say google search result I mean the first thing that pops up when you type in a question in the Google search. It wasn't from a website.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I actually just dumped some coffee grains and tomatoes in one of my compost barrels and it was so alive with fruit flies and other things I had to step back when I opened the lid so I wouldn't get a lung full of them lol. There must be millions when I take the top off. Micro manure I figure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are those "Maggots" Black Soldier Fly Larvae?
If so they are really great at keeping the bad maggots eaten.

I know we shouldn't put meat in our composting but when it is Black Soldier Fly time I have no problem putting everything in the mini garbage can looking compost pale and take it all out to the BSF.
I have a big garbage can ( the type with wheels and flip lid big ) and I layer yard grass and dump everything on top of that. Their waste seems to break dry grass down to black gold.

They seem to eat protein so they leave behind most carbon stuff and they have poop or pee I guess and that seems to have biological action too.
I mean if I put road kill in there they would clean it to the bone.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Are those "Maggots" Black Soldier Fly Larvae?
If so they are really great at keeping the bad maggots eaten.

I know we shouldn't put meat in our composting but when it is Black Soldier Fly time I have no problem putting everything in the mini garbage can looking compost pale and take it all out to the BSF.
I have a big garbage can ( the type with wheels and flip lid big ) and I layer yard grass and dump everything on top of that. Their waste seems to break dry grass down to black gold.

They seem to eat protein so they leave behind most carbon stuff and they have poop or pee I guess and that seems to have biological action too.
I mean if I put road kill in there they would clean it to the bone.

I don't know exactly what kind of maggots it was referring to but probably any kind. I've only seen fruit flies in mine and other crawly bugs but I don't see anything wrong with putting meat in it, I don't but mostly because there is a large racoon population in my area and I don't want to attract them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know exactly what kind of maggots it was referring to but probably any kind. I've only seen fruit flies in mine and other crawly bugs but I don't see anything wrong with putting meat in it, I don't but mostly because there is a large racoon population in my area and I don't want to attract them.
Some zones are not good for black soldier flies so maybe you are in one of those.
Hermetia illucens aka Black Soldier Fly

480px-Stratiomyidae_-_Hermetia_illucens.JPG

BLACK SOLDIER FLY COMPOSTING GUIDE

I love them. I have no problem reaching in and handling these guys. Also they get a free pass if they come in the house. People freak out thinking they are a wasp. They don't even have mouth parts as an adult. I don't believe they can eat.
Talk about one's life clock running out!

But I get it that maggots are "eeewwww!!"

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Some zones are not good for black soldier flies so maybe you are in one of those.
Hermetia illucens aka Black Soldier Fly

View attachment 99699

BLACK SOLDIER FLY COMPOSTING GUIDE

I love them. I have no problem reaching in and handling these guys. Also they get a free pass if they come in the house. People freak out thinking they are a wasp. They don't even have mouth parts as an adult. I don't believe they can eat.
Talk about one's life clock running out!

But I get it that maggots are "eeewwww!!"
Yes, we have them and I love them. Reminds me of the giant horn tail wood wasp that is completely harmless but makes people scream in fear for their lives when you hold one up to them lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, we have them and I love them. Reminds me of the giant horn tail wood wasp that is completely harmless but makes people scream in fear for their lives when you hold one up to them lol.
There have been automatic harvesting bin designs. They crawl out to pupate and the chickens ate them. So, I saw someplace one time that is...

Reaction score
Country
United States
My rule of thumb is crawlers ok, lots of flyers not ok. I always keep a layer of leaves, cardboard, or grass clippings on top of the pile to prevent the thousands of fruit flies, flies, soldier flies, horse flies, all of the flies mostly away. Also helps make my pile never stink (don't add too thick of a leaf layer if your not gonna turn it though, my neighbor is blowing it right now in that regard and his pile doesn't smell so good).
Ah, close to neighbors so I get the need not to offend.

Black Soldier flies eat meat or anything with some protein in it I believe.
So the latest experiment is bringing home the food waste from where I volunteer that offers a meal once a week.
This way I am removing material from land fills that create methane I believe.

With this last feeding it smelled like hamburger dinner for awhile.
I am trying out a layer of grass then pour the food waste on top.
They reduce volume so it can be layered to the top and then it will go back down four or more inches in a week. What is left is black gold in my opinion.

As for smell. yeah they excrete and it will smell like what they are eating so if you give them road kill then be ready for the smell of death for a while. So no, not good for near by neighbors for sure.
I found that out by feeding a raw chicken to them long long ago. Hey live and learn.

It's just that there are many ways to generate soil amendments.
We do what is best and what we can.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When people mention "maggot-free composting," they're usually thinking about fruit flies because maggots are the larvae stage of flies.

Now, you've got a point - maggots and other critters can help break down organic matter in your compost pile, which is a good thing for decomposition. But, here's the deal: some folks try to avoid them for a few reasons. First off, maggots can attract other pests like fruit flies, and nobody wants an infestation in their compost. Plus, they can contribute to some not-so-pleasant odors, and let's face it, they aren't the most appealing critters to have around.

On the flip side, maggots can be beneficial too. They munch through your compost materials, speeding up the decomposition process. Plus, they leave behind nutrient-rich castings, which are like superfood for your garden soil. So, it's a bit of a trade-off.

If you want to keep your compost maggot-free, there are a few tricks you can try. Covering your compost pile with a lid or a thick layer of leaves or straw can deter fruit flies from laying their eggs. Also, maintaining a good balance between green and brown materials in your compost can help control decomposition and discourage pests. Don't forget to turn your pile regularly, as it helps with aeration and makes it less inviting for unwanted critters.

In the end, whether you choose to go "maggot-free" or embrace them in your compost, it really depends on your preferences and goals for your garden. Both approaches have their merits, so you can decide what works best for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are also "Media-Maggots" <joke intended>

Opps: I just check with ChatGPT and it said this
ChatGPT
Ah, it sounds like you're referring to the less common usage of the word "maggot," which historically has been used to mean a whimsical or fanciful idea, a "flight of fancy," or a caprice. This is quite different from the modern, biological definition of the word, which most people are familiar with today.
However, it's not generally used to mean a "joke" in the modern sense of humor or comedy. This older usage is more poetic and archaic, often found in older literature. The term isn't commonly used in this way today.

I guess there is an old-soul in me. I know that term and I know not why or how.

Last edited:

Ask a Question