Maggots?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a maggot on my microgreens in their soil tray..chia seeds, just sprouted their heads and I saw one maggot.

If I find a maggot, is it likely to have more? With eggs that haven't hatched yet? Likely to be an infestation? Should I throw the batch of soil away? Is my main question.

The soil I used has been used before in another pot of microgreens. I also have black tiny flies all over my onion batch on the balcony, so I'm wondering if it could be from them? Because, if so.. Does this mean I need to throw away any growbags covered in black flies since they will have laid eggs and larvae even if I spray with insecticide and kill the flies... Likely for eggs to infest and ruin the crops anyway ?

In future, for planting onions from scraps, what precautions can I take to ensure this doesn't happen?

Thanks for any and all of your help everyone.

Tonya

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's probably fungus gnats

Just had to get rid of them on my cactus seed trays. Used a combination of sticky traps, squashing and drying out the trays, only watering from the bottom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is squashing? Do they stay on the top? (That's why you water from the bottom?)..

But with edibles, I don't think it's safe to eat any even when killing them off because I won't know if the parts I'm eating contain eggs. Also I am afraid of contact with eggs, because I read of this miyaisis disease and sounds like a horror story...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The lavae live in the top of the compost so if this stays dry they stop feeding.

Squashing involves hitting them with the end of a lolly stick :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1597357773552.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lol, are they visible? I can do this BUT, my main concern is, will there be eggs on the edibles I'll harvest and I don't feel safe eating anything infested by larvae. What do you think?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All joking aside, I can see why you`re so worried, but generally speaking this kind of problem is rather more the kind of thing that might happen in the tropics.
May I ask - how are you growing your crops? Are you working inside or do you have a garden? What do you mean by ''planting onions from scraps''

I think it sounds as if you are somehow creating your own problem with maggots by some means. These nasty little flies like ''scraps'' especially in the very hot weather - same as big flies, like blue bottles :eek:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All joking aside, I can see why you`re so worried, but generally speaking this kind of problem is rather more the kind of thing that might happen in the tropics.
May I ask - how are you growing your crops? Are you working inside or do you have a garden? What do you mean by ''planting onions from scraps''

I think it sounds as if you are somehow creating your own problem with maggots by some means. These nasty little flies like ''scraps'' especially in the very hot weather - same as big flies, like blue bottles :eek:
Hey..so most of the videos on YouTube showed me how I can grow from cuts.. So radish toos by cutting the radish in half, or carrot top, or the root end of an onion or an inch of a potato with growing eyes, and either sitting it in some water and wait for roots to grow, or planting it after a little drying of the skin, and allowing fertilized growth in soil, so the bottom end of the onion or onion cut in half, root end in water allows roots to grow then I plant that half with roots in soil and roots grow, stems grow, and apparently, roots can grow more bulbs... If the flies are drawn by my mistakes, it's likely just from over watering... Maybe the smell of the onion though.

I started hydroponics inside.. Just scraps in water to see what happens and when I saw healthy roots growing, I bought compost and coco firbe and grow bags, and placed them planted on the balcony.. We're on the fifth floor.. Only the flies had been a problem but I had no clue (or warning from the YouTube videos) about maggots.. Did not even know maggots were from flies/fly babies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think that under the circumstances it would be better for you to think about joining a gardening club. Maybe there is a scheme somewhere near you ? Gardening generally is a big subject, and even oldies like me who have been doing it for years, never know all the answers.
If you are in a flat with no ground to care for, you could maybe start off with a pot plant or two. A spider plant might be interesting, and you can grow on the babies to make new plants.
1597478210914.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think that under the circumstances it would be better for you to think about joining a gardening club. Maybe there is a scheme somewhere near you ? Gardening generally is a big subject, and even oldies like me who have been doing it for years, never know all the answers.
If you are in a flat with no ground to care for, you could maybe start off with a pot plant or two. A spider plant might be interesting, and you can grow on the babies to make new plants. View attachment 70151
Great ideas. I'm giving that a go!

Ask a Question