Help, Unwanted Grass Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small grass area next to my house that belongs to me but can be seen by neighbours. My problem is I am fed up with cutting it all the time especially in the summer because of the growth rate, I would rather there was concrete there in stead to be honest.
Rather than getting rid of the grass altogether what else could I do?
Grass.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

There are such concepts as no-mow lawns and meadow lawns... They can be very attractive and ecologically diverse.
I'd tell you there is no law against it... but may be there is! Your phrase "seen by neighbours" sounds positively Orwellian.

If an unmowed lawn will not do, consider replacing the lawn with low-maintenance shrubbery or ground covers There are living plant options that might only require a day of maintenance once or twice a year.

Conversely, you could plant something that might reward you more for your labours, such as herb garden, rose garden, vegetable garden, fruit trees, etc.

Its a nice plot of land it would be dreadful to pave it over.
One more idea could be to rent it out to somebody who is looking for a patch of land to garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder which way the wall faces? Partly envy, I would love a wall like that to grow something up, but more wondering how much light it takes? There are good reasons not to concrete land over, it looks like it will drain down to the wall for a start. Ecologically concrete is a real no, it produces a lot of carbon dioxide making concrete and it drains off into overstretched sewage systems and depletes the water table. What you have may seem like a small area, but small areas add up, people paving front gardens in suburbia to park cars have caused real problems some places. Gravel or pebbles would need weeding from time to time, but allow water through. I have a friend who has two small boys who are football mad and a very small back garden they turned to mud, he laid astro-turf, the water drains through it and from the house it looks just like grass. The ground cover/ shrubs option is a very good one.
Forty years ago when I was made redundant I made a living turning up and mowing such pieces for a minimal cost, I don't know how hungry people are in your neck of the woods, or if you can afford it, but the bit marked off is not large. I am curious, is the rest of the grass yours? Do you mow that? It does not seem much more, but the path has something of a municipal appearance to it.

And welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You could replace the grass with spreading ground hugging plants like clover or thyme that would need very little or no maintenance.

Ask a Question