Worm or Unwanted Wiggly?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My indoor Gardenia is having a difficult time, and has really never been healthy. (It had a fungus on the leaves when I purchased it. I foolishly believed the young sales associate when she said it was heavy dust.)

I believe that it is also struggling due to Fungas Gnats, but this evening when spraying soil, I noticed a couple of wiggly’s. Hoping to attach file.
It was an outdoor plant last summer, and when it came indoors last October, I changed the soil, sprayed the roots with water, and added some coco bark on the surface.

I really do not want to part with this Gardenia, however, I am on the verge of doing just that!
Suggestions would be welcomed.
2C6E2ADF-7CBF-4A6A-AAC3-EF171F26A88C.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to GF
The worm was probably in the Coco bark or it was still in the roots when you changed the soil. I wouldn't have put it outside for the summer, bound to get something in the soil.
The fungal knates are naturally in soils, I wouldn't worry about it.
Here's a video to help you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sciarid flies (fungus gnats) can be a pain, and are often due to overwatering. We find that the yellow sticky traps are useful, but they lay their eggs in the wet compost and the larvae that results have a jolly good chew on the roots, which is not ideal. :sorry:
That poor worm would much prefer to be out in the garden in the rain I think .
Welcome to the forums by the way @Futile gardener :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello and welcome to GF
The worm was probably in the Coco bark or it was still in the roots when you changed the soil. I wouldn't have put it outside for the summer, bound to get something in the soil.
The fungal knates are naturally in soils, I wouldn't worry about it.
Here's a video to help you
Thank you for this video, as it is very specific.
I do plan on transplanting again once the weather warms up here in Southern Ontario.
As this is a hybrid(?) Gardenia tree of sorts, it was outdoors when I purchased, so I decided to leave it out for the summer. The blooms were beautiful and fragrant!
image.jpg

If I can make it healthy, it will definitely stay indoors :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sciarid flies (fungus gnats) can be a pain, and are often due to overwatering. We find that the yellow sticky traps are useful, but they lay their eggs in the wet compost and the larvae that results have a jolly good chew on the roots, which is not ideal. :sorry:
That poor worm would much prefer to be out in the garden in the rain I think .
Welcome to the forums by the way @Futile gardener :)
Yes I felt bad removing the two worms that I discovered. Do you think that they are harmless? I can’t say that I have ever seen an earth worm looking quite like these!

I have posted a picture of the “tree”, above.

I am not sure how to handle the gnats. I do believe that they are decreasing and number, but they do fly about the house, and I am afraid that they may infest another plant!
I read that sprinkling a layer of Cinnamon on the surface of the soil will kill the larvae. I have seen the most minuscule little white “worms”.....perhaps the larvae?
I certainly am not overwatering, but I am spraying a considerable amount of liquid into the plant. This could perhaps be over the top, hence, adding to the moisture level of the soil.

Thank you also for your response! I will continue to try and rescue this fragrant beauty!

Ask a Question