Maggots and grubs. Good or bad for compost pile?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
My compost pile seems to move by itself. Actually, during the last few days, I've noticed the level of the pile has gone down a couple of inches. The reason for all that is that I have like 2 billion maggots and/or grubs in it.

I've been reading about it, and some people say they're great for compost, and others say they're not. I've seen how well they work, so I'm wondering if I should leave them there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My compost pile seems to move by itself. Actually, during the last few days, I've noticed the level of the pile has gone down a couple of inches. The reason for all that is that I have like 2 billion maggots and/or grubs in it.

I've been reading about it, and some people say they're great for compost, and others say they're not. I've seen how well they work, so I'm wondering if I should leave them there.
Maggots???? Grubs???? The only grubs I have ever seen in a compost pile are Rhinoserous beetle grubs and they are as big as your thumb and beneficial. I have never seen maggots but I have seen what are called wolves. They are about 1/2" long and look segmented. As far as I know they are harmless too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'll take a better look at them later. They're pretty disgusting so I didn't try to take a good look at them. They're probably maggots.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They'll certainly be breaking down the plant material, sounds like the heap is too wet for bacterial decomposition to start, that produces a lot of heat.

Try layering with dry material or even crumpled cardboard as you build it up next time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would not be able to deal with the maggots. The compost piles that I have smelled in the past, that are made of plant material at least, have sort of a piney smell to them and not a rotting food smell. It could just be the materials that make up the pile.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw this on another forum:

"I agree with the above. Your pile is already far too wet or you wouldn't have maggots in the first place. And pouring on more boiling water only does more damage to the contents. Wet piles attracts the flies that lay the eggs that become the maggots.
Maggots can be quite beneficial to the decomposition process - they pose no harm - and do some good in the pile. Learn to live with them if you plan to compost as composting isn't always a pretty process. ;)

However their presence in large numbers indicates a pile that was too wet to begin with and not well balanced in components. Dry the pile out and they will leave.

You don't mention any of the additives you are using other than grass clippings which joe pointed out are a green (nitrogen) and yes, they are still a green even when dried first. You need a good source of dry carbons (browns). A pile that is properly balanced in carbons and nitrogens and not kept overly wet won't have maggots or only very few.

Dave"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
The materials are leaves from our yard, a little dirt, shredded paper (I'll add more, Zigs, there might not be enough), and kitchen and garden scraps. The pile won't stink, and I don't know if I want them leaving or not. They are doing an amazing job eating everything. I'll have to order some worms because I had some in there but I only saw one the other day. I like red worms better, but they're yucky, too, so I guess I don't care what yucky creature does the job, as long as it is done LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

I have done some research and have been digging around in my compost pile. What I am sure you have are called Black Fly larvae. They are a type of maggot and they are highly beneficial. The Black Fly is more of a wasp than a fly. People actually grow the larvae as protein for animals and make special composting bins just for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I have done research online, too and came to the same conclusion, Chuck. I read that they don't sting people, so if I see black, wasp-looking insects flying around I won't panic like when I see a red wasp hahaha! So, if they're beneficial, I don't want to try to get rid of them.

Ask a Question