Anyone tried coffee or tea plants?

Reaction score
I love to drink sweet tea and it would be great if I could grow my own tea plants. Of course hubby has mentioned coffee plants for himself as well. We really don't live in the proper climate for either but I was wondering if anyone else has tried to grow coffee or tea plants of their own?

Any success stories out there?

Reaction score
I had never even THOUGHT about trying to grow a coffee plant, but that would be so interesting! I think I'm going to try! I found this link that has lots of info on how to grow one: http://houseplants.about.com/od/Tropicals/p/Coffee-Growing-Coffee-Plants.htm
It sounds like they just need more sunlight in cooler areas, but less sunlight in warmer temps, like where I live in Southern California, because the leaves will brown. It is worth a try!

Reaction score
I have never grown tea or coffee plants but I know that it is possible. You would have to find out if the trees would grow in your zone. I know that you don't get a lot of yield off of a tea tree which is the main reason that I have not tried it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in the Pacific Northwest so I don't think it would be possible around here. The weather is generally too cold around here and I think coffee and tea need tropical climates to thrive? How would you go about roasting your coffee once it is harvested? Green coffee beans also have many health benefits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am definitely planning to try and grown my own green tea plant as soon as I can find one and get started! I've wondered about growing coffee plants and I've seen links claiming you could do it, but I would imagine you'd need a lot of space to have enough plants to get enough beans for even one cup. I kind of have my hands full right now, and I'd be concerned about the pest problems that come with coffee plants.

Reaction score
I wish I could grow my own coffee but I don't have the space to grow enough beans to supply the amount of coffee I drink in a week.

Reaction score
I've looked into coffee a lot too, but I hear it's a water hog and would take a lot of area to produce very little coffee. Maybe someday I will give it a go anyway.

Reaction score
No but that sounds like it would be an very interesting project. I actually had never heard of that before.

Reaction score
@Colene thanks for that link! My hubby would flip out if we could grow coffee.

@firelily99 I am going to do more research on this. I would really like to grow tea and possibly even coffee.

@Rosyrain I would really have to research the entire project. I mentioned it to hubby and he is all for coffee plants. LOL

@ChanellG Let me know if you ever find a plant!

@ACSAPA I am going to really research this and see how much is needed for a family to consume.

@cmiller yes it does sound like a neat project.

Ask a Question