Anyone have thoughts on urban bee keeping?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You can keep bees in urban places if you are sure that they will get enough flowers. You will not expect them to produce honey if there are no flowers around. You will also have to place the beehive near a source of clean water and away from disturbance. Beehives must be placed away from ants and honey badgers. Any disturbance can lead to the bees getting aggressive and start stinging people or any pets around.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Urban beekeeping is a real possibility. It depends on the species of bees you wish to rear. There is a variety of bees called stingless bees, to be specific carpenter bees. They are larger than the African bee and quite tame. You can grow flowers around the homestead to provide a steady supply of nectar. Their hives can even be kept in the bedroom!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please, bare in mind that you will need some form of insurance if you plant to keep bees on an urban center, please take a look at the U.S.D.A. Apiculture Insurance Program, specially for the general liability part, and also please bare in mind that you will need additional coverage if you plan to actually sell the honey at a farmers market.

Depending on your insurance company you could have some trouble getting an umbrella coverage homeowners insurance if you declare that you are keeping honeybees, please clear that out first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would not be ok with it if it was my neighbor. I'm generally ok with bees myself, but I have two small children who might now react well and who might do something not so smart when faced with a large quantity of bees. One or two bees is one thing, but a hive could be trouble for a curious child. I'm all for it if your neighbors are 100 yards or way or so, but I don't think its a good idea if you have neighbors much closer than that. JMHO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Keeping honey bees may not be good if you have curious children around. Keeping Mason bees are easy to keep and don't sting as a rule, if they do its more like a bug bite. Mason Bees houses are hung high so that young kids won't bother them and in the winter you can keep the bee house in your garage until spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I live in a fairly populated area; I don't keep bees, but I do attract tons of them to my yard every year, both from my cultivated plants and the wild plants I allow to grow -- most of my grass has been replaced by mulch and plants that grow in those mulchy areas.

My father keeps bees up in Maryland, but I've never really had a desire to, since I'm not really a fan of honey, but I do like insects, including bees. So I do wonder if one day a swarm of bees would be interested in setting up in my yard, especially since I keep the trunks of trees I've chopped down, which would make a nice place to build a nest.

I also wonder if these honeybees are in fact wild and not from someone's domestic hive. I've been thinking about contacting a local bee club and see if that's the case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Long back, I thought of keeping a hive but dropped the idea when I tasted the honey from the hive on one of the three gigantic polyalthia longifolia ( False Ashoka / Indian mast tree) tree that grow in my yard.

Who says honey bee are hard working, I say they are pretty lazy.o_O They look for the easiest way to collect honey.

So, if you want your honey in some particular flavor then plant that kind of plants around the hive. :cool:

Now, you might guess the taste of honey that I got.:confused:

Worst thing will be if you have any sweet shop nearby, you may get sugar syrup instead of honey.:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Bees survive by collecting honey from plants /flowers etc. would think in a city there would be a lack there of. and a good distance for the poor fellows to fly to get to and return.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Honeybees forage in a three mile radius, feeding on flowers, grasses (for pollen) and farm crops. The nectar and pollen is converted to honey (you don't want to know how) for future use.
Urban bee keepers are successful because they are within a three mile radius of parks, yards with flowers and vegetable gardens, and roadsides with vegetation.
We are fortunate to be in the country with corn, sorghum, oats, millet, and also nectar producing trees and wildflowers. An urban garden cannot produce enough to support a hive of bees. However, an urban area can.
We have large vegetable gardens, several flower beds, and an herb garden. Our bees still leave home to go enjoy the surrounding area's offerings. We can tell the difference in taste and look between spring honey (light colored and sweeter) and fall honey (darker and with more of a "bite").

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We can tell the difference in taste and look between spring honey (light colored and sweeter) and fall honey (darker and with more of a "bite").

Would you elaborate a bit on this part? I know different honeys taste different, but is the spring honey made of more wildflowers? What causes the "bite" in the fall honey? What kind of plant would cause that? :confused:

I'd suggest putting the bees in the back seat, so they could locate the good spots as you drive about.

:ROFLMAO::love: I laughed so loud, the cats woke up and looked at me! I offended them. :oops: :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, my apologies to your cats. I know they don't care, but it makes me feel better to say how sincerely sorry I am to have interrupted their naps.
Spring honey is a hodge-podge of wildflowers, blossoming vegetables, and early grasses. When the bees come into the hive, their little hind leg pouches have light-colored pollen packed in.
Fall honey is mostly from goldenrod and wild asters, and any fall planted crops. It's the goldenrod that gives the "bite" which isn't unpleasant, but is distinct from the spring honey's flavor. Even the pollen in their pouches is darker in color.
And if you ever want to examine a bee's hind end to see what color pollen she has in her pouches, I'll be glad to let you come visit our hives!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
marlingardener, I'm sure it comes as no surprise to learn that my cats lead very cushy lives! (C'mon, I cook for my fish!! :rolleyes: ) They're back asleep...Shh...don't be funny again...:cautious: :D

I watched the bees collecting pollen outside my window when the volunteer sunflower was there last summer. They look like they have little saddlebags on their legs.

If I ever decide to take a trip to TX, I would be honored if you showed me bee's butts!! (y) (And I want to see the roses, too!!) (Oh! And the ladies!!)

Ask a Question