Anyone have an ant eater?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'm in the market for an ant eater ( Myrmecophaga tridactyla ), I can promise it a good home and a more than adequate diet. When it gets hot and dry here in Texas, ant move into a cool and preferably slightly damp spot (our house). I'm going broke buying ant spray, and figured if I could pick up an ant eater cheap, I'd save money and my home wouldn't smell like a petrochemical plant.
So, if you have a spare ant eater, or just one you are tired of looking at, let me know and we'll work something out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I can imagine how that will turn out.

1253eaeada3445504fca773818015f37.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had an ant problem. They would come in under my back door, go behind the cabinet and refrigerator, then march directly across kitchen floor to the cat food. :sick: :mad:

I bought 2 four packs of the ant bait that said, "Kills the Colony!!" They take the bait and feed it to the queen. I might have gone overboard. One four pack might have done the trick, but I was mad.

Here's a DIY one I found online. (y)

https://boraxantkiller.com/how-to-get-rid-of-ants-effectively/

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Upsy Daisy, there were A LOT of ants!! :eek: All in the cat food bowl. Yuck! I bought a cheap one the first day, and even though I knew it would take a day or two... :unsure: ... Well, they were still in the cat food the next day, so I went back to the store, and bought the name brand. :rolleyes: I put them behind the cabinet, all along the wall, under the refrigerator... I think I had one per square foot in that area!!

It worked!! No ants going on three years now! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hate the little pests....we had an explosion of flying ants a couple of days ago and for some strange reason they had yet to learn how to steer.....kept flying into me..yuck!:eek::(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thank God our ants haven't learned to fly (yet)! I bought some Tat insect killer recommended by my very best friends at the hardware store and sprayed it around windows, doors, and where the plumbing comes into the house. No ants this morning. Ihope they are all dead, and not just gathering their forces into brigades to march in tandem on our kitchen.
I'll let you know if I cancel the anteater request.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thank God our ants haven't learned to fly (yet)! I bought some Tat insect killer recommended by my very best friends at the hardware store and sprayed it around windows, doors, and where the plumbing comes into the house. No ants this morning. Ihope they are all dead, and not just gathering their forces into brigades to march in tandem on our kitchen.
Oh you just missed the sendoff is all. I stopped for an hour to watch all the winged girls and boys fly off the top of a fencepost a few weeks ago. They were all aimed at my neighbors yard. Perhaps I devalued their real estate values?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in the market for an ant eater ( Myrmecophaga tridactyla ), I can promise it a good home and a more than adequate diet. When it gets hot and dry here in Texas, ant move into a cool and preferably slightly damp spot (our house). I'm going broke buying ant spray, and figured if I could pick up an ant eater cheap, I'd save money and my home wouldn't smell like a petrochemical plant.
So, if you have a spare ant eater, or just one you are tired of looking at, let me know and we'll work something out.

Completely unnecessary and unhealthy for you and environmentally harmful to resort to using pesticidal sprays. You can EASILY make your own "ant spray" which is safe for you, your family/pets and your environs.

Mix one cup water with 1/4 cup vodka. Add about 15 drops of peppermint essential oil. As an option, you may add also 8 to10 drops of tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil. Spray where the ants are entering your home. Spray trails. This spray will obliterate ant trails and greatly discourages ants from coming back to the sprayed area. My family and I do not enjoy killing any creatures, so we brush away ants and spray to interrupt their trails. As an alternative to spray, you may make the above formula, keep it in a jar and dip a small basting brush into your formula and brush away ant trails.

The vodka is there to keep the oils "dissolved" and dispersed throughout your spray solution. The smell, after spraying this solution, will be noticeable at first but soon dissipates. I think the peppermint/eucalyptus makes for a quite pleasant odor.

Please note: one of the most highly effective ways to combat ant intrusion into your home is to figure out what it is the ants are attracted to in the first place. We keep all food items, including pet food, either in the fridge, in our cupboards or in glass jars or other containers which ants cannot access. You must determine WHY these ants find your home so attractive. During this warmer weather, even the slightest residue of a sugary or meaty substance or a crumb 1/2 the size of the head of a pin will bring ants into your kitchen.

Please try the homemade spray. Best of luck to you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please do not use pesticides. Make your own ant spray: One cup water, 1/4 cup vodka + 15 drops essential pepperming oil. See further instructions in my reply to marlingardener.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Please do not use pesticides. Make your own ant spray: One cup water, 1/4 cup vodka + 15 drops essential pepperming oil. See further instructions in my reply to marlingardener.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, and want to make sure that you understand that as an essential oil enthusiast, you slow down before every post and describe how to dilute an essence (tial) oil from its extremely dangerous concentration into the usable concentration you are trying to communicate about. In your post, a person could infer drops of concentrate, but the danger is your assumption about the common and safety minded term essential oil being assumed safe at a vastly lower concentration. Those concentrated essential oils by themselves are good for transport and storage, but you will not miss an opportunity to point out that a few drops into a larger volume of carrier oil is necessary for safety or you will do as I have done, and participate in killing entire gardens.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Inside, not really a problem with ants, outside now that is another story. MiTmite you would change your mind fast the first time you stepped in a fire ant bed.
I use a lot of Borax. The stuff you add to your laundry detergent to get your clothing cleaner. The only other thing that works is fire. The ants seem to be immune to the chemical baits.

Oh and I tried that peppermint oil thing before on Wasps, it did not work but it did smell real nice.

Ask a Question