Anyone for Chit?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Got some Sarpo miras today, they don't stop growing till you or the frost stop them.

Put them on to chit :)

View attachment 49987
If you have eaten Sarpo Mira potatoes before, the very best of luck; if you have not, throw them away and get some decent seed potatoes.
I grew them in 2017, and they were the worst potatoes I've ever eaten, both for taste and texture.
All the ones which grew really big had hollow heart, too.
They were invented to feed hungry mouths in Warsaw Pact countries, and pleasantness came well behind calories.
Threw most of them away, as I was too ashamed to give them away.
They really are that bad.
Valor have some blight resistance, are nice potatoes, and give a decent crop.
Desiree are quick to bulk up, and, in Cheshire, I can usually get them in, out and stored before blight becomes a real problem. They are an excellent all-round potato.

Steve Randles

Chief Beverage Officer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've grown Sarpo Mira for a couple of years now, and I rate them fairly highly.

I was sceptical at first having read reports similar to HFB above, but I eventually tried some of a friends harvest first and was pleasantly surprised, so I grew them the following year (2 seasons ago now) I use them for Fries and Saute and I find their flavour to be light which suits the uses. Half of my Sarpo crop are grown and encouraged to be massive and I achieve this without any hollow tubers. They can get a little scab in dry weather if you don't keep the rootzone moist.

For mashed potatoes and Baking I grow Kennebec, a variety that the americans here will be familiar with.

For roasting potatoes, there can be only one, the King Edward.

I also grow International Kidney (Jersey Royal!) it is an early miancrop but I start harvesting them as a first early, through the summer, digging them up as required.

Steve...:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are growing Kinnebec for the first time this year. I'm interested in seeing how well they do here in central Texas. For early potatoes to steam, we have Red Lasodas, and we also grow Yukon Golds, which I was assured by a neighboring farmer "would not grow around here." I took him a small bag of Yukons, which he agreed that "on your farm with the soil you have, the Yukons didn't do bad." Why am I thinking
"Mr. Potato Head"?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm growing Maris Bard, Foremost and Casablanca as first earlies; Nadine as second earlies, Desiree as early maincrop, and Valor as late maincrop.
All, bar the Maris Bard and Casablanca will store for months.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We've taken that on board Bees and got these as a back up (y)

Can always make booze out of the sarpo miras :giggle:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I save my own Desiree seed & have some spare if you want them?
The estate can handle the postage.

Ta for the offer Bees :)

Got enough for this season thanks, only growing in tubs this year as we've not got enough ground prepared :)

Ask a Question