zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So far the blighters are burying all the traps :oops:

Dug the hole out and it came along and shoved it's nose into the run, but didn't come out far enough to grab it.

Don't really want to kill it, would rather catch live and relocate.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Caught one by hand a few years back, but have to keep fingers away from the business end :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
A Friend, that had moles Bought a Sonic Mole Detent that works well All the Moles have moved next door (y)..........But if your really having a mole day then this may help........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Maybe we're talking about different species here, but I see moles as beneficial animals in the garden; not to be confused with voles.

Luckily I've never noticed any voles, if I do have them they're not destroying enough vegetation for me to take notice; however, I'm always seeing those mole tunnels and stepping on them and I like the feel of the soil collapsing under me...soil aeration:giggle:

BTW, some trivia...Moles are not rodents, they are insectivores. Voles, however, are rodents.
Memory aid Moles eat Meat; Voles eat Vegetation.

Excerpt:

A MOLE’S LIFE
  • Moles are often mistaken for rodents, but they are not related to mice, rats, and other rodents. Their diet includes insect larvae, spiders, earthworms, and lawn pests such as slugs and grubs. They do not intentionally eat plant material.
  • To meet their high energy requirements, moles eat just about 24/7. They often consume the equivalent of 60–90% of their body weight in a single day and may tunnel 100 feet in the process.
  • Moles are well adapted to the darkness of subterranean living. Nearly blind, they compensate with their keen senses of smell, hearing, and touch.
  • As they dig through the earth with their large, shovel-like forepaws, their tiny eyes are protected from dirt by thin membranes. Their nostrils face to the sides of their pointed snouts to avoid being clogged, and they lack external ears.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently read that Olbas oil works. Clear the soil away, put a few drops of oil on a rag and push it into the hole. Apparently they can't stand the smell of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We do not trap them. We irritate them with buzzy little devices stuck into the ground topped by a windmill that has a vibrating rotation. And cats. Lots of cats. This obviously was part of Beckys' plan for mole immigration, where the displaced moles find a cat willing to bring them into the house so they can be snug and warm.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the past 30 odd years I have had to trap the moles here. It would be impossible to run a camping site without control of these destructive (but handsome) little pests. At this time of the year they gang up to create babies, so ''nipping he problem in the bud'' so to speak is a vital exercise. I have tried every other '''solutions''' mentioned, and know for certain that none of them are as effective as traps.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have had to trap the moles here. It would be impossible to run a camping site without control of these destructive (but handsome) little pests.
Tetters get zigs to rig up Celine Dion...those that like her can camp and those that don't aren't allowed and all campers are happy listening to music for free ;):p

Ask a Question