Any one with an eye for colour?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Lovely job Esther; I too like the granite top and also the light unit. The light coming in through the window is charming. :)

Bron and I only visited our Ikea once alp; once we got in; the store wouldn't let us out? I rate Ikea like the old MFI stores; cheap and cheerful with nothing we want in our home. I've made most of our furniture both fitted and freestanding it being good old fashioned solid hardwood; most of our kitchen has been made from Meranti hardwood I bought as offcuts it being in many sizes and lengths; the kitchen evolved over many years as funds became available but the style will never date.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Another room we re-did was the "garden" room, from this attachment you can see the wall color it is a deep raspberry color, at night it takes on a little chocolate air.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Last summer we had our living room re-painted. and you will not believe the color I picked. its a light lavender. and it works against the wood floors and the brown tapestry couch, chair and drapes. found pic of couch, which I had drapes made out of also. Ignore the wall color behind, not that way anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
And, as our home has lots of color inside, we recently did the hall bathroom. Thinking of all the colors already we had, and I don't like light brown, or green, decided to go with White for the bathroom, but with a very dark vanity. and a black floor. here is what we did

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
This sits on my counter top, in the corner. Love the fish. Its an original made by Tim Power from Oregon coastline. has a little light inside it that shoots little stars out to the walls from its gills. Made out of copper . can see more color of tile , wall and counter top.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which way does your kitchen face please @Arden Sage?
It is North West facing. It gets no direct sunlight throughout the winter and lots of late evening sun in the summer. The dining room which leads from it barely gets a peck on the cheek from the sun (even at the height of summer). Based on your suggestion, I'm guessing bboth rooms would lend themselves to a splash of "hot" colour?
I'm also giving thought to what "work" those two rooms have to do and just how many hours they will be in use. They will be the primary rooms in use for most of the day (we'll retire to the sitting room in the evenings) and both overlook the garden (which is accessed via the dining room). Any 'entertaining' will take place in those two rooms so they will be put to both practical use as well as "on show" - very much the hub of the house for family and friends.
I've had a good think about the colours I have used elsewhere (other rooms, other homes, other lifetimes) and I've realised that I err towards the red, white and blue palette of colours. But, I also have a long held dream of having "seasonal" accessories. So, I would have accessories for Spring, accessories for Summer/Autumn/Winter which would fit in with the backbone colours of furniture and room colours. Accessories are so easy to co-ordinate and make seasonal and change just enough to prevent a look becoming too jaded too quickly ... just so long as I get the "back bone" colours right.

This thread is proving to be very inspirational and really sparking the creative side of my brain - so, a BIG THANK YOU to all contributors (with an extra peck on the cheek to those who have posted pictures)

Ask a Question