Annoying Fire Ants Are Killing My Plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I looked at my plants yesterd, and there was a huge ant house forming under my tomatoe plant. I check this morning, and the thing is out of control. I put some salt over it and water it, but it did not do anything. In addition, it appears to be affecting the plants too. I looked pretty stressed this afternoon. I know laundry detergent powder will kill them, but I am not sure how that would affect the plants. What else can I do to get rid of them? They are getting on my nerves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I looked at my plants yesterd, and there was a huge ant house forming under my tomatoe plant. I check this morning, and the thing is out of control. I put some salt over it and water it, but it did not do anything. In addition, it appears to be affecting the plants too. I looked pretty stressed this afternoon. I know laundry detergent powder will kill them, but I am not sure how that would affect the plants. What else can I do to get rid of them? They are getting on my nerves.
Salt is what the Romans did to kill the crops and the soil of their enemys. Never put salt around your plants unless you want to kill them. Fire ants are easy to control. Make a spinosad drench and soak the soil around the plants. They will be gone in about 3 days

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Orange oil in a mixture will also kill fire ants. The dirt doctor has a recipe at his website dirtdoctor.com
Also i have found Diatomaceous Earth (DE) effective. These two alternative options are organic and will not harm your veggies. I don't believe i have spinosad available where i live and do not have personal experience using it but @Chuck is a reliable source so i expect the drench works very well and will also not harm your crop..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I generally ignore ants' nests when they're located where my critters do not hang out. Usually, the next rain relocates them. I will definitely pay more attention if I ever see them near a plant I'm trying to grow. Thank for the heads up.

Ask a Question