Annoying insects

Reaction score
I have an indoor plant collection that I water regularly and change the soil occasionally, but with the soil change comes bugs. Most of these bugs are small and I can cope with them, but then I have those ones that are the size of a kidney bean! I don't know what half of them are and I can't get rid of them. My dad tells me to spray them with warm soapy water (he was a farmer back in his old country) but I don't know if it's helping. Do any of you have these issues? What do you do to remove them without harming the plants?

Reaction score
Your dad is right that soapy water will help. There are actual insectisidal soaps like Safer's but typically dish soal in a sprayer works as well. You can take you plants outside and spray them with a hose attachment and physically spray off the larger ones. Follow with the soapy water in a spray bottle and bring them back in. I have never had plants react badly to a misting with the soapy water. Good luck.

Reaction score
Are they on the leavesb or soil? I felt a bit grossed out with the kidney bean part :X3: I just dislike bugs very much, specially the ones that can be found close to the plants... specially the soil. I've seen some really gross looking insects in my life. Anyway, I'm guessing the bugs are on the leaves, then using soapy water can help. If they're on the soil... you can use tobacco powder ( I'm sure you can find it in the gardening section next to the bagged soil).

Reaction score
The insects are in the soil and on the leaves, sometimes they walk out and I see them on the windowsill. I guess I'll stick with the soapy water then, I'll trust my dad. I'm not fond of insects the size of that either, they're gross indeed. Tobacco powder? I never knew that they sold tobacco powder for plants, I'm sure that people misuse that.

Reaction score
Misuse? This tobacco powder looks more like a very nice packed soil... It actually helps to fertilize your plants as well, no bug will want to get close to your plant either, specially snails. My cats don't like the smell either, but it's not very strong anyway, they're just divas :p The brand I used was fairly safe, because the resident earthworms were alive and thriving :)

Reaction score
Ugh! I have that problem as well. For me it's usually gnats. I found an insecticidal spray at Lowe's that seemed to do the trick for me. Perhaps look for something like that?

Ask a Question