Alternatives to Ebay?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I used to sell through eBay and was always guaranteed a sale but over the years eBay together with PayPal charges meant it wasn't worth the hassle on low priced items so now I just bin them because I've even tried giving things away only to end up with a lot of grief.

I buy many items through eBay but for a few years have enjoyed lots of success using Gumtree; I put on a fixed price explaining no offers please and the item must be collected paying cash from my home address here in Huddersfield; I've experienced the odd time waster but I've saved a lot of money using Gumtree; I've sold big machinery some at over £1,200 through Gumtree my last about a year ago being a Shopsmith at £650 which I actually delivered the buyer only living in Doncaster. All these were sold after the buyer inspected the items before handing over cash; two big items were collected by buyers living in Ireland all without fuss and a smile from both parties. About a month ago I posted four Yeti tyres on Gumtree and as they didn't sell I withdrew the tyres deciding to keep them and to buy a pair of spare wheels.

I used to have an Amazon account until Amazon were advertising a new £500 desktop computer; when I wanted to place my order the computer was out of stock so I emailed Amazon who in writing assured me not to worry because new stocks were due; I suffered computer problems for a couple of weeks then contacted Amazon once again to be informed the computer I wanted was no longer available; I closed my account with Amazon because the trust had gone. I then bought an even more powerful computer through eBay this being a gaming computer and it only cost £325 delivered next day; I'm using it now.

This morning I received an email from eBay informing me of free selling fees but no thanks I'm not interested I also received an email stating Virgin Media couldn't process my bank standing order asking me to click here which of course I did; why is the world now full of nasty low life?

I'm awaiting free delivery of the Williams shown below; please note difference in prices; eBay can be wonderful but even so it pays to shop around first. Add on £5.99 delivery cost to the Ideal World item?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Williams-Racing-5L-Waterless-Wash-and-Wax-re-fill-bottle-only/323251679853?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/pp/williams-racing-waterless-wash-n-wax-5-litre-refill-jerry-can-with-trigger-402820?query=fh_view_size=24&fh_location=%2f%2fidealworld%2fen_GB%2fcategories@lt;%7bidealworld_1001%7d%2fbrand_iw@gt;%7bwilliams%7d&fh_sort=-hasimage_iw

Good luck Ian; eBay without doubt has the biggest market share but with it comes a lot of hefty fees.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
This morning I received an email from eBay informing me of free selling fees

Yep, me too - eBay must have seen this thread :ROFLMAO::

On 3rd March 2019, eBay is making it free to list for private sellers.
For private sellers with no shop:
From 3rd March you’ll receive a whopping 1,000 Free Listings a month. Currently your Free Listings cover 1 and 3 day duration listings. After the change, if you choose to list for these shorter durations, you’ll be charged a Special duration listing upgrade fee of £0.35, regardless of the number of listings you’ve used.
These changes exclude Classified Ad listings and items listed in the Cars, Motorcycles & Vehicles category.
For private sellers with a shop:
From 3rd March you’ll receive the same benefits and conditions as private sellers without a shop. Additionally, you’ll receive 100 free listings with 1 and 3 day Special duration listing upgrade, after that each listing costs £0.35.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
It's a question of doing the sums. For me, I wouldn't be buying enough stuff from them to make Prime worthwhile.
I will say I did by a CD/DVD recorder/player from them once, that didn't work, before the days of Prime and they refunded me my money, including the postage both ways.
They do sell a lot of returns, when they publish a price stating, "from." I think the cheaper ones are a bit of a "pig in a poke."
You do have to be careful though with foreign stuff also because I noticed when purchasing the Aquasafe for the fish water, some had foreign language on it but the more expensive was English...Sean hubby did a rough work out before I joined prime to make sure it was worth my while before doing it...he makes me laugh with the things he does at times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A couple more excellent e-Bay purchases.

I bought this Sony Bravia 43" 4K "all singin' and dancin'" TV on Tuesday, as a second set, to replace the 32" Panasonic Viera in the front room which has ended up in our tea-house.

Trouble was, the feet were two wide for the table, so I had temporarily sit in on a piece of laminate on a couple of wooden blocks.

P1030086.JPG

But I decided that if I bought a different stand I could actually manage with a smaller table.

So on Wednesday afternoon I ordered a new stand and table on e-Bay

The stand was £34.99 and the stand £15.99. Plus free delivery. The Table came on Friday and the stand today. Both have tempered glass. I don't know how they do it for the money. Both are well made and of excellent quality.

P1030096.JPG

P1030093.JPG

I'm in two minds about using the soundbar, as this new set has excellent sound, with a setting for clarity at low volume.
I can play any music I have on a stick, in the TV and through my vintage hi-fi, (the left-hand speaker is on the wall above the TV) if I'm that bothered.

My wife thinks the picture is far better than the one on the cheap LG 43" in the lounge which she mostly watches, I may have to replace that one too!

I've had to order one of these.

s-l1600.jpg

My ancient DVD/CD player has only a scart connection and the TV none, only 4 HDMI and 3 USB sockets.

Nothing's simple is it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A couple more excellent e-Bay purchases.

I bought this Sony Bravia 43" 4K "all singin' and dancin'" TV on Tuesday, as a second set, to replace the 32" Panasonic Viera in the front room which has ended up in our tea-house.

Trouble was, the feet were two wide for the table, so I had temporarily sit in on a piece of laminate on a couple of wooden blocks.

View attachment 56317

But I decided that if I bought a different stand I could actually manage with a smaller table.

So on Wednesday afternoon I ordered a new stand and table on e-Bay

The stand was £34.99 and the stand £15.99. Plus free delivery. The Table came on Friday and the stand today. Both have tempered glass. I don't know how they do it for the money. Both are well made and of excellent quality.

View attachment 56318

View attachment 56319

I'm in two minds about using the soundbar, as this new set has excellent sound, with a setting for clarity at low volume.
I can play any music I have on a stick, in the TV and through my vintage hi-fi, (the left-hand speaker is on the wall above the TV) if I'm that bothered.

My wife thinks the picture is far better than the one on the cheap LG 43" in the lounge which she mostly watches, I may have to replace that one too!

I've had to order one of these.

View attachment 56321

My ancient DVD/CD player has only a scart connection and the TV none, only 4 HDMI and 3 USB sockets.

Nothing's simple is it?
Nothing is simple. Once I got started on the internet of things, I am talking to my tv

Ask a Question