Natural alternatives to chemical rooting hormones

Reaction score
I was having a discussion on another thread with another member about growing stem cuttings and wondered if there are natural alternatives to rooting Hormones.
I read up some information on the net which says steeping willow canes/ stems in warm water and leaving them for 24 hours before putting your cutting into them helps the stem to develop roots quickly and the chances of survival are higher.
We do not have willows so commonly here..I have been told that dipping the stems in diluted honey solution will help the stems root quickly.. I have tried this.. but this in't really a sure fire method.
The third method is rather strange ... and yucky.. dip it in your saliva or give it a lick.. lol .. I promise you I read this some where. I have never tried it this far... :D
Have you tried methods of rooting stem cuttings that worked for you..? Please share your methods as I am trying to propagate a lot of cutting now.. thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow, Maddie, I knew about willow, but I'd not heard about saliva before. I did an extensive search a while ago, which is how I found that cinnamon method I told you about, which really just is supposed to protect the cutting, not really promote growth. I suppose you could spit into a cup...

Jed

Reaction score
I'ld heard of a couple of methods, one was to use honey and the other was to use a contraceptive pill or asprin crushed to powder and used.
I've never used any of these.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'ld heard of a couple of methods, one was to use honey and the other was to use a contraceptive pill or asprin crushed to powder and used.

Hey, Jed, welcome back!

I'd read about using honey, but I thought that was just supposed to protect the cutting from infection or whatever. I'd be a bit concerned about using honey though, I think if you set the cuttings outside, they're containers would be invaded by ants before long.

Reaction score
Thanks Jed, I have never heard of these before.. but I guess contraceptive pills or asprin aren't really natural.. :) I could try these as they are easily available. I have used honey on a couple of cuttings that have failed during my numerous propagating efforts in the past, I hope to see some growth this time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks Jed, I have never heard of these before.. but I guess contraceptive pills or asprin aren't really natural.. :) I could try these as they are easily available. I have used honey on a couple of cuttings that have failed during my numerous propagating efforts in the past, I hope to see some growth this time.

Maddie, considering that contraceptive pills INHIBIT growth, lol, in that they prevent new life, I doubt you'd want to go that route anyway. Be sure to let us know how it works out with the honey.

Reaction score
That was what was going through my mind too.. contraceptive pills inhibit growth.. I will let you know about my experiment with honey. I will try cinnamon for soft stemmed cutting to stop the rot.. I did not know about that until recently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, let me know. So far the most success I have had was with two flowering plants that I just left in water. I would like to think that there was something we could use that is more common that commercial rooting hormone that is also without chemicals.

I'm going to try propagating the mint soon by burying part of the plant in soil and letting it root before I cut it away. I'd like to try that technique with the Japanese maple as well.

Reaction score
I did find this article mentioning asprin and birth control pills.
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/44848
Thanks for that link Jed.. i don't know how it works but if it is used not only as a rooting powder but also as a fertilizer I should try this.. I am game for it.. after all I will be trying this on some pruned stems from my plants.. and it would be worth the experiment. I really want to try this. I appreciate the help. :)

Jed

Reaction score
Thanks for that link Jed.. i don't know how it works but if it is used not only as a rooting powder but also as a fertilizer I should try this.. I am game for it.. after all I will be trying this on some pruned stems from my plants.. and it would be worth the experiment. I really want to try this. I appreciate the help. :)

No problem. I went back to the link and hadn't taken notice what website it was posted on.
Mmm!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I did find this article mentioning asprin and birth control pills.
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/44848

Yes, Jed, thanks for the link! I read the article and I'm convinced enough to give aspirin a try since it should give the same effect as using willow bark. I have no willows growing close to home so I won't be trying that technique anytime soon. I'll have to see about getting some aspirin.

Jed

Reaction score
Yes, Jed, thanks for the link! I read the article and I'm convinced enough to give aspirin a try since it should give the same effect as using willow bark. I have no willows growing close to home so I won't be trying that technique anytime soon. I'll have to see about getting some aspirin.
I have a lot of willow growing wild down the valley choking up the creeks. Perhaps I should try both.

Reaction score
I have started my aspirin experiment. I have a couple of plants which refuse to grow from cuttings although I know they are propagated that way. Hopefully my plant grows and thrives with this aspirin starter.

Ask a Question