Alternatives to Ebay?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a few bits and bobs to sell and I was just about to list on eBay, but I wondered if anyone here has had luck with any alternatives?

I used gumtree a while back, but didn't have much luck. Is there anywhere else that is worth selling stuff online (I'm UK based)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ian, I used to sell a lot of stuff on eBay a while back, even though I thought they charged a bit much on their commision, but when they started to ask commision on the postage cost as well, I complained (a lot)
I decided that was IT!!!! Lots of other sellers seemed to follow the same opinion, and threatened not to use the site again... but I watched lots of them slowly revert to eBay again. I suppose they have the monopoly in a way - everyone knows that site.
I know nothing personally about facebook, and would never use it myself, but I know several people who buy and sell stuff on there ???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've used e-Bay a lot for both selling and much more for buying. I've had a total of 400 transactions and I've got 100% feedback.
They have the biggest customer base.

I've never had a problem either buying or selling. Most vendors will move heaven and earth to ensure their customers are happy, as they don't want negative feedback.
It's the first place I look for anything, as you can determine the lowest price available. eBay list stuff in price and date order. i.e. the lowest price will be at the top and as the sell date closes that will make it's way to the top. However, progressively, some items are "sponsored," (it says so in the listings), this means they will be at the top, but they are not necessarily the cheapest.

Sometimes the prices offered by eBay sellers, who may also have their own website, will be the same as stores in the high street. "The dealbreaker" for me, is if they offer "free postage." I always pay by "Paypal."

If I want to sell something, I look on eBay to see if I can find a similar item that someone else wants to sell.
I then go into "Completed Listings" on that page to see what price similar items sold at or didn't sell.
That will give me an idea what I'm likely to get for it.

If someone else is trying to sell the same item, I've two choices I can either offer mine at a lower price, or wait until that one has sold, before I put mine on.

eBay have been charging commission on postage for a decade.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks everyone. I'll check out Craigslist and Facebook to see what they're like - I guess they're useful for the larger stuff that would need to be collected anyway.

I do use eBay a lot for purchasing things, as it's great for hard to find things, particularly random electronics components that I need. eBay must rake it in when it comes to their commission %!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Preloved, Freeadds and Shpock. I have used Preloved and it was alright.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sold me car and a dog cage on gumtree :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with any site like e-Bay etc., when you're trying to sell stuff, you're up against "The grandkids." They inherit stuff like jewellery and watches so lots of them and similar stuff ends up offered at low prices.#

Same with second-hand golf gear,like grandads clubs and trolley.

I did manage to sell an alto sax that'd I'd bought new five years previously (I moved on to play a tenor) at more than I'd paid for it. But that was just the way prices for suxh thingss have increased over the year.
with selling stuff on ebay. If you use Paypal, there's that commission to pay.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I would recommend selling via gumtree. But of course, it is only for local. However, once a lady from Scotland asked to buy my knitting pins and to protect her, I reverted to gumtree. But really, I didn't really need to as paying via paypal will protect buyers. I would go for gumtree first and foremost as once I put a TV on and it was sold in an hour and a week ago, I sold a single bed and mattress the following day. Do try it first. You can sell via free?? which now has allowed selling instead of just giving.

Ebay has the broadest base of customers, but now has the most aggressive marketing tactics. Relisting items which was £1 final fee for me straight away, (another one to look out for £1 final fee!) I had to take them down manually. Also, they automatically allow offer which will cost me an extra 50p. I name the starting price at a price that I want to part with an item. For example, a snowdrop for £13 instead of 99p, which is a pain unless you have several laptops to bump up the price from 99p to £13! Ebay has been very nasty in charging postage and if you listen to their orders (LOWER your price by £1, Use price easing .. all in imperative verbs!) you will end up working for them. Try shpock, but I have never had any luck. Preloved seems to be unloved.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh lots of ideas here :D, I've not heard of some of those sites - so I'm download all the apps on my phone now and going to give them all a browse to see how they work. I think I'll try non-ebay for the larger items that need collection as a bit of a test to see how it goes :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I dislike Amazon, won't buy anything off them after a bad experience. They try to trap people into payong for "Prime." I bet the majority of people don't buy enough through them to make it worth while. They also deal with third-party sales, for whom they act as an agent . If you've a problem with such purchases, they don't want to know, You have to contact that supplier, if they are still trading.
They are also "The Cookie Monster." Putting them on your computer.
I've always been able to find what they have at the samee price or cheaper elsewhere.

Our soup maker packed up yesterday. So I looked on-line in different places for a replacement, None were cheaper than Curry's though a couple of sites on eBay matched the price with free postage. But my wife had a lot of stuff ready to be "souped," so I nipped out to Curry's this morning and bought one.
I jast gave the assistant a "Paddington Bear Hard Stare," when they tried to flog me an extended guarantee. I think they are a waste of money. But it's their job to try to talk you into it.

My best eBay buy was nearly two years ago when I bought a new, (including the box and guarantee etc.,) Rotary "dolphin standard" waterproof watch for £41.00. This was from a watch supplier with a lot of sales and good feedback. Offered elsewhere at well over £100.
I think they just got the price wrong.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I dislike Amazon, won't buy anything off them after a bad experience. They try to trap people into payong for "Prime." I bet the majority of people don't buy enough through them to make it worth while. They also deal with third-party sales, for whom they act as an agent . If you've a problem with such purchases, they don't want to know, You have to contact that supplier, if they are still trading.
They are also "The Cookie Monster." Putting them on your computer.
I've always been able to find what they have at the samee price or cheaper elsewhere.

Our soup maker packed up yesterday. So I looked on-line in different places for a replacement, None were cheaper than Curry's though a couple of sites on eBay matched the price with free postage. But my wife had a lot of stuff ready to be "souped," so I nipped out to Curry's this morning and bought one.
I jast gave the assistant a "Paddington Bear Hard Stare," when they tried to flog me an extended guarantee. I think they are a waste of money. But it's their job to try to talk you into it.

My best eBay buy was nearly two years ago when I bought a new, (including the box and guarantee etc.,) Rotary "dolphin standard" waterproof watch for £41.00. This was from a watch supplier with a lot of sales and good feedback. Offered elsewhere at well over £100.
I think they just got the price wrong.

Quite agree. Amazon is especially greedy. I sold a music book and at that point, I just disliked Amazon as it just was reported that Amazon didn't treat their staff as human. I phoned the lady and asked her how much she paid. Amazon actually charged more than my asking price and I wasn't impressed, so I told her that I would list it in ebay and she saved a bit more money. A lot of people said that they were sold dodgy stuff and when they quoted the Amazon guarantee, Amazon said the company had gone bust.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
They try to trap people into payong for "Prime
Sean I joined prime to one advantage only because I hate having to keep relying on my hubby and I search for the cheapest I can find and know i'll have it the next day...with me it's mainly books, e-cigs and just lately besides the shops aquarium stuff lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Sean I joined prime to one advantage only because I hate having to keep relying on my hubby and I search for the cheapest I can find and know i'll have it the next day...with me it's mainly books, e-cigs and just lately besides the shops aquarium stuff lol

It's a question of doing the sums. For me, I wouldn't be buying enough stuff from them to make Prime worthwhile.
I will say I did by a CD/DVD recorder/player from them once, that didn't work, before the days of Prime and they refunded me my money, including the postage both ways.
They do sell a lot of returns, when they publish a price stating, "from." I think the cheaper ones are a bit of a "pig in a poke."

Ask a Question