All About Zinnia Flowers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I currently have seeds of these Zinnias varieties starting in my greenhouse... Giant Purple, Double Violet Queen, Old Mexico, California Giant, Northern Lights Blend and Liliput. I recently got some more seeds... Candy Cane, Thumbelina and Benery's Giant Blend to include in my next planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I currently have seeds of these Zinnias varieties starting in my greenhouse... Giant Purple, Double Violet Queen, Old Mexico, California Giant, Northern Lights Blend and Liliput. I recently got some more seeds... Candy Cane, Thumbelina and Benery's Giant Blend to include in my next planting.
@Greenhorn, Do you have a favorite Zinnia variety?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Hi @LouisFerdinand
No favorite, although I've always been partial to ones that would grow ;) I haven't been at Zinnias in earnest really too much prior to this year. I did have a few beautiful Apricot last year, they kind of had a subdued old fashion look to them.

Here is what I am at with my Round 1 planting, round one being the first set of (tender) plantings for the year... I planning one one, maybe two more rounds. i do want to get the Candy Cane, Thumbelina and Benery's Giant Blend going in round two.
I also have some Zinnias out in my raised bed, they were a part of a scatter mix.

Top row, left to right, one 6 pocket set per variety (seeds planted Jan 16 2021).
Giant Purple - Good, Double Violet - Good, Old Mexico - Ok, California Giants - Not So Good, Northern Lights - Ok (looks like I forget to added seeds in 2 pockets), Liliput - Good.
A few of the seed packages might be a little old.

I think I'm most looking forward to the Giant Purple and Old Mexico. Also the Candy Cane and Giant Blend I need to still get started. I think I would like bold and vibrant this year.

Bottom row is all Cosmos.
1 sets Double Click, 2 sets Sensations, 1 set Candy Stripe, 2 sets Bright Lights.
Odd neither set of Sensations have germinated, they are not from the same package either.

These will go in the raised bed if the scatter seed lacks, if scatter seed does well they will go into containers. If they go into containers I think I will put some out for people to have or look for another way to share them. I want to have a bountiful flower season and spread some beauty with others this year.

Everybody got some water right after this picture : )

IMG_20210209_153253851s.jpg

Ask a Question