Advice needed - want to grow fruit and berries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I consider strawberries to be like radishes are for kids. They grow fast, are good and keep your interest in gardening alive. Just don’t use pressure treated wood and your containers should be fine.
Can you elaborate on why pressure-treated wood is bad for plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The pine trees don’t necessarily indicate acidic soil. I would just work in some good, organic nutrients like manure, alfalfa meal, blood/bone meal, humid acid, and azomite or other mineral rock combos like zeolite.

Check your water’s ph and skip the ground. When you water it will change it anyhow and with enough organic matter you can overcome clay while changing the ph. Ideally you can target plants with a 6-7 ph, which is where almost every fruit/vegetable thrives.

Keep the food out of shade unless it can get at least 6-8 hours direct light. Flowers or other plants may love it though.
that's an interesting point about the water. Didn't even think of that. I was going to call the local Arboretum, bc my next door neighbor said they tested the soil for him for the last house for free! So if they do that indeed, i may do that :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can you elaborate on why pressure-treated wood is bad for plants?

The toxins they use to repel insects, mold and funguses leach out of the wood and into the soil where they can be picked up by the vegetable roots. The chance of becoming ill from this is negligible but it’s not worth taking a chance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The toxins they use to repel insects, mold and funguses leach out of the wood and into the soil where they can be picked up by the vegetable roots. The chance of becoming ill from this is negligible but it’s not worth taking a chance.
Understood. Damon said the boxes are just cedar and the little legs are pressure-treated, but those are on the outside of the boxes and will have no contact with soil or plants. I did see those fairly inexpensive plastic terra cotta plants on amazon that would be good for strawberry plants. It’s plastic, which I technically abhorre, but it’s $34 and holds 24 plants.... so for now, I think that’ll do. Hopefully by the fall I will find space to put those plants in the garden and not kill them.
How long is the season for strawberries? Wondering if investing in 30+ strawberry plants is realistic right now if they only have one cluster of berries..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hey all, question.... we have wild blueberries here, they are everywhere... does that mean the soil is acidic....or not necessarily?

I’m heading to a nursery today and will be asking them, as well, but thought I’d throw it out here:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Understood. Damon said the boxes are just cedar and the little legs are pressure-treated, but those are on the outside of the boxes and will have no contact with soil or plants. I did see those fairly inexpensive plastic terra cotta plants on amazon that would be good for strawberry plants. It’s plastic, which I technically abhorre, but it’s $34 and holds 24 plants.... so for now, I think that’ll do. Hopefully by the fall I will find space to put those plants in the garden and not kill them.
How long is the season for strawberries? Wondering if investing in 30+ strawberry plants is realistic right now if they only have one cluster of berries..

Look for an “Everbearing” variety. There are several types that will produce for many weeks during the summer. I am going to experiment this year and leave several in the ground with a cover of straw. I am also going to bare root some and store in the refrigerator. I may also greenhouse some to see if they will remain green. Just FYI, look up Gurneys seed & nursery company.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Look for an “Everbearing” variety. There are several types that will produce for many weeks during the summer. I am going to experiment this year and leave several in the ground with a cover of straw. I am also going to bare root some and store in the refrigerator. I may also greenhouse some to see if they will remain green. Just FYI, look up Gurneys seed & nursery company.
I used to order from Gurneys eons ago. You recommend?

Thanks for the Everbearing variety. If they do produce for weeks on end and we can enjoy the berries most of the summer, totally worth it! Excited!!

Ask a Question