About time to spray fruit trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is about time to spray your fruit trees with either dormant oil or Neem Oil to kill any insects or eggs that have overwintered. My trees now have bud swell so I will be spraying before bud break probably next week. Folks north of me have more time, just don't forget.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm in. I love Neem oil on my dormant peach, plum, and crab apple trees. I don't bother on the pears as they never have insect problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Would preliminary antifungal sprays be appropriate now or wait for the heat? We lost a lot of oaks and other plants last year to root fungus and I am in no mood to wait and see, but it is work and money which I would not care to waste either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would preliminary antifungal sprays be appropriate now or wait for the heat? We lost a lot of oaks and other plants last year to root fungus and I am in no mood to wait and see, but it is work and money which I would not care to waste either.
Most fungal diseases in trees require an early spring spraying plus additional sprayings during the year, but, having said this, you must know exactly what you are spraying for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Most fungal diseases in trees require an early spring spraying plus additional sprayings during the year, but, having said this, you must know exactly what you are spraying for.
We are like the Wal Mart of fungus when it rains a lot. I am spraying systemics (agri-fos) so I see that early spraying as allowing time for uptake.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We are like the Wal Mart of fungus when it rains a lot. I am spraying systemics (agri-fos) so I see that early spraying as allowing time for uptake.
I don't get near the rain you do but I do get fungal diseases on my fruit trees periodically, not very often, but, I do still get them. As you know I am a totally organic gardener and I do all sorts of things to stop diseases from ever getting a chance to start and the most successful thing that I do to stop fungal problems before they begin is to spray garlic. I spray it numerous times per season on everything, from my asparagus to zucchini and everything in between. Truthfully, I don't positively know for sure that it works but fungal problems are very rare. It is super cheap and easy. Garlic is a limited systemic pesticide and fungicide but as far as fungal diseases in tree roots I am clueless. But, like I said, I have very few to zero insect problems or fungal diseases on anything.

The only fungal disease I get on a regular basis is Early Blight and I take care of that in a totally different way but still spray the plants with garlic anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I don't get near the rain you do but I do get fungal diseases on my fruit trees periodically, not very often, but, I do still get them. As you know I am a totally organic gardener and I do all sorts of things to stop diseases from ever getting a chance to start and the most successful thing that I do to stop fungal problems before they begin is to spray garlic. I spray it numerous times per season on everything, from my asparagus to zucchini and everything in between. Truthfully, I don't positively know for sure that it works but fungal problems are very rare. It is super cheap and easy. Garlic is a limited systemic pesticide and fungicide but as far as fungal diseases in tree roots I am clueless. But, like I said, I have very few to zero insect problems or fungal diseases on anything.

The only fungal disease I get on a regular basis is Early Blight and I take care of that in a totally different way but still spray the plants with garlic anyway.
Absolutely garlic works. It is a contact killer though, like Thyme oil. Both have numerous petri dish studies. Thyme oil even fights back fusarium. I am sure the layer upon the soil is useful in stopping the arrival of windborne spores. In this cause I am fighting Phytophthora ramorum an oomycete, water molds that get nasty by adding in on top of all the other advantageous fungi out there when it is wet. It was by chance that I learned potassium salts of phosphonic acid stopped root fungus attacking other plants like my Sugi trees and Winter Daphne shrubs. I lost a Japanese maple but saved others, even one small root of a winter daphne I thought dead but is now regrowing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Absolutely garlic works. It is a contact killer though, like Thyme oil. Both have numerous petri dish studies. Thyme oil even fights back fusarium. I am sure the layer upon the soil is useful in stopping the arrival of windborne spores. In this cause I am fighting Phytophthora ramorum an oomycete, water molds that get nasty by adding in on top of all the other advantageous fungi out there when it is wet. It was by chance that I learned potassium salts of phosphonic acid stopped root fungus attacking other plants like my Sugi trees and Winter Daphne shrubs. I lost a Japanese maple but saved others, even one small root of a winter daphne I thought dead but is now regrowing.
At least in my part of the state we don't have Phytophthora ramorum or Sudden Oak Death on anything.....yet. But we do have Oak Wilt, Bretziella fagacerum which is still fatal but just takes a little longer and is transmitted by an insect on an open wound on the tree.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Chuck,

With age my trees get taller and I seem to get smaller, lol...do you think it is important to get to those higher limbs with the spray?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck,

With age my trees get taller and I seem to get smaller, lol...do you think it is important to get to those higher limbs with the spray?
I don't think the higher limbs are as important as the trunk and lower limbs on fruit trees but still important. I use a hose end sprayer to spray my fruit trees now. It uses more spray product by using a hose end sprayer but old age has a way of evening everything out. I too am beginning to struggle with tall fruit trees and I am thinking about just topping the entire tree thus reducing their size to something I don't need to climb a ladder for. This will also reduce production but the older I get the less I eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My 25 gallon tanks have these roughly 2gpm pumps that reach a decent height, though not to the top of Oaks and such. I would say halfway up 80 to 90 foot trees roughly.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, definitely advantages to smaller tanks...thinking of a 15 gallon 2 gpm to pair with my 60 gallon pto driven. Your 2 gpm gets about 40 feet and that would be more than adequate for my fruit trees.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It is about time to spray your fruit trees with either dormant oil or Neem Oil to kill any insects or eggs that have overwintered. My trees now have bud swell so I will be spraying before bud break probably next week. Folks north of me have more time, just don't forget.
Looking like its getting close to that time again. My fruit trees are already starting to show bud swell with this recent spell of very warm weather.

I'll hit em with some fresh Neem Oil next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Already sprayed with dormant oil. My biggest problem is cedar apple rust. But if it were to magically disappear then there would be some other disease show up in its place I'm sure.

Ask a Question