A question about growing garlic

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I chip some years and sprayed potatoes do not grow sprouts. Sprouts being my measurement system.
The point was, if you are growing supermarket potatoes, you are unlikely to buy them early & store them, (why bother?) so they may be straight out of the ground & naturally dormant.
It's probably the case that they are sprayed, but to check, you could try putting away a few potatoes bought from your shop in January.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have grown elephant garlic which is related to the leek or years and have had great success. Last fall I planted Spanish garlic for the first time. I started with large purple garlic bulbs that had large cloves. They grew well all winter and I harvested them this morning. Everyone of them had a single bulb without cloves. I am a little disappointed but I think I need to cure the bulbs and plant them again in the coming fall. Any advise on how to proceed will be appreciated.
Hey,

First off, hats off to you for diving into the world of garlic cultivation. I've been growing elephant garlic for a while too, and I completely understand the joy of watching them thrive. It's indeed a bit of a curveball with the Spanish garlic behaving differently, isn't it?

From what you've described, it sounds like you've harvested what we garden enthusiasts often call a "round" - basically a solid bulb that hasn't segmented into individual cloves. While it's not the outcome you were expecting, it's not uncommon for certain garlic types in their first year, especially if they're adjusting to a new environment or if planting conditions weren't ideal.

Here's a game plan for you:

Curing Process: Before anything else, cure those garlic bulbs. Place them in a cool, dry place for about a month. This not only helps in extending their shelf life but also enhances the flavor.

Replanting: Those rounds you've got? They're gold for your next planting. Once you've cured them, you can replant these rounds come fall. They should ideally split into multi-cloved bulbs in their second year. It's like the plant's way of saying, "Alright, I've figured out the environment, now let's get serious!"

Soil & Care: Ensure that the soil is well-draining and you've got them in a sunny spot. Before you plant again, maybe mix in some compost to enrich the soil. Make sure they get consistent water, especially during their growing phase.

Protecting the Plant: Considering you're planting in fall, mulching will be your best friend. It'll keep the cloves insulated during the winter, helping in better growth.

Patience is Key: Sometimes, all plants need is a little time to adjust. It might have been a surprise this year, but there's always the next!

I hope this helps. Keep the faith and fingers crossed for a clove-filled harvest next season!

All the best,
Ramzan

Reaction score
Country
United States
That would account why I have never had the problem :)

Clearing out in the garage the other day I found some last year's garlic that has started to sprout, Any idea what would happen If I put that in the ground now?
Oh man, that's stressful! First thing, if you chose the Cloud option, check the 'Recordings' section of your Zoom account online. If it's local, look in your Zoom folder (usually in the Documents section on your computer). Zoom typically stores local recordings there unless you've manually changed the save location.

If you still can't find it, maybe do a system search for the file. Fingers crossed you locate it—especially since it's supposed to goku tu worldwide!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh man, that's stressful! First thing, if you chose the Cloud option, check the 'Recordings' section of your Zoom account online. If it's local, look in your Zoom folder (usually in the Documents section on your computer). Zoom typically stores local recordings there unless you've manually changed the save location.

If you still can't find it, maybe do a system search for the file. Fingers crossed you locate it—especially since it's supposed to goku tu worldwide!
I don't think I was the one you wanted to quote.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It aids in the vernalization process which leads to bulb formation. I like about three weeks in the fridge before planting. It helps, but hard to say how important that is to you.

Ask a Question