A Natural Recipe For Killing Weed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I came across this page from a friend on Facebook, and since we have a dog in the yard, I have avoided the use of chemical. This recipe seems to fit the bill perfectly for us. We have rain almost every day so I have to wait for dry days to apply this mixture and see it works.

10352386_10152433344740119_1444975330650235445_n.jpg

You can find many other tips on this website: http://www.budget101.com/frugal/household-tips-n-tricks-204/

Reaction score
Thanks you so very much! I had been looking for a more safe approach to kill weeds, I just iddn't feel comfortable buying the products they sell at the gazrdening stores, because they are surely super toxic and contain chemicals I can't even pronounce. Thanks a lot, I am saving this!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I came across this page from a friend on Facebook, and since we have a dog in the yard, I have avoided the use of chemical. This recipe seems to fit the bill perfectly for us. We have rain almost every day so I have to wait for dry days to apply this mixture and see it works.

View attachment 7564

You can find many other tips on this website: http://www.budget101.com/frugal/household-tips-n-tricks-204/

Thanks IcyBC, I'm anxious to try it too. Hope it works on onion weed.
We are metric here ( imperial in Australia until 1966 ). I was about to ask you for approximate conversion to cups but looked it up and it's 3.478 litres so I'm set.(y)
Don't know that particular dishwashing liquid so I'm hoping any will do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks you so very much! I had been looking for a more safe approach to kill weeds, I just iddn't feel comfortable buying the products they sell at the gazrdening stores, because they are surely super toxic and contain chemicals I can't even pronounce. Thanks a lot, I am saving this!

Years ago, I bought one of those Round Up weed killer but was so uncomfortable using it that it still sat in the garage. I had too many kids playing in the yard at that time so just didn't want to risk the unsafe side of things with them.

Seeing this recipe, I feel better and will mix some to use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This a great solution (no pun intended there...:LOL:). We have a lot of dogs, cats, and wildlife that roam the area where I live and so chemical sprays are not an option for us. I actually have all of these ingredients in my home already so I would not even have to go out and buy anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks IcyBC, I'm anxious to try it too. Hope it works on onion weed.
We are metric here ( imperial in Australia until 1966 ). I was about to ask you for approximate conversion to cups but looked it up and it's 3.478 litres so I'm set.(y)
Don't know that particular dishwashing liquid so I'm hoping any will do.

The dishwashing liquid is below, and you can find them on Amazon and eBay. I had to get this one ingredient yesterday.
IMG_1765.JPG

I hope whatever dishwashing liquid you're using, will work out for you too!

Reaction score
Years ago, I bought one of those Round Up weed killer but was so uncomfortable using it that it still sat in the garage. I had too many kids playing in the yard at that time so just didn't want to risk the unsafe side of things with them.

Seeing this recipe, I feel better and will mix some to use.

Same here, plus have you read all those warningxs on the labels of this products? You are not supposed to ocme in contact witgh the in any way. That made me so nervious.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Just checked out Dawn soap...OMG...so many uses. :eek:Clean the windows, wash the dog, clean just about every thing.....and now kills weeds. How have I managed without it. I have a phone number to check out a USA Supplies Shop in a suburb in Melbourne about 45 minutes from here which according to Google stocks it so I'll be ringing first thing in the morning to see if they do have it. Otherwise I can send away for it on EBay or Amazon like you suggested IcyBC. Thanks for your help.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Actually, I don't think the Dawn is killing the weeds - we use it in a very mild solution to kill aphids ON plants, so it's probably not doing the actual killing.

Looking at the recipe, I'd say the mortal ingredient is probably epson salts. In small doses, epson salts provide minerals to the garden, but in any concentration, like any salt, it will poison the earth. They used to 'salt the earth' to make it so things wouldn't grow on enemy farmlands in medieval times. Two cups of it, in a gallon of vinegar (a mild acid) should kill just about anything, with the dish soap just acting as an emulsifier to make sure the other ingredients mix well and stick to the plants they are sprayed on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've always used vinegar straight from the bottle and it kills weeks fast,it all so keeps the stray dogs from using my yard as a dumping spot one sniff and the go some place else to do their thing. they don't like the smell of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just checked out Dawn soap...OMG...so many uses. :eek:Clean the windows, wash the dog, clean just about every thing.....and now kills weeds. How have I managed without it. I have a phone number to check out a USA Supplies Shop in a suburb in Melbourne about 45 minutes from here which according to Google stocks it so I'll be ringing first thing in the morning to see if they do have it. Otherwise I can send away for it on EBay or Amazon like you suggested IcyBC. Thanks for your help.(y)

You are welcomed and yes Dawn liquid soap is known for removing grease, and clean wildlife after an oil spill. I use this dish soap to make a flea shampoo for my dog in the summer too. I only use this brand for dish washing too since it works so much better than other brands. Good luck at your local store!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Actually, I don't think the Dawn is killing the weeds - we use it in a very mild solution to kill aphids ON plants, so it's probably not doing the actual killing.

Looking at the recipe, I'd say the mortal ingredient is probably epson salts. In small doses, epson salts provide minerals to the garden, but in any concentration, like any salt, it will poison the earth. They used to 'salt the earth' to make it so things wouldn't grow on enemy farmlands in medieval times. Two cups of it, in a gallon of vinegar (a mild acid) should kill just about anything, with the dish soap just acting as an emulsifier to make sure the other ingredients mix well and stick to the plants they are sprayed on.

I agree, the combination of these three ingredients does the magic! I am so anxious to try out, but we haven't have a dry day yet so far. I need dry weather so the mixture won't just go to waste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've always used vinegar straight from the bottle and it kills weeks fast,it all so keeps the stray dogs from using my yard as a dumping spot one sniff and the go some place else to do their thing. they don't like the smell of it.
That's good to know! I have never tried it, but if it keeps the dogs away, that is very helpful. Does it have any residual effect on soils? One of the reasons I like Roundup is that is has zero soil action. You can spray right next to a plant you want to keep and as long as you don't get it on the leaves, you can keep the desired plant. I'm not keen on spraying chemicals, but vinegar is a pretty innocuous one and I'd prefer using it if it's not going to hurt my other plants.

Ask a Question