Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

22 July 2022 Processing Black Currants.

Posted on 07/22/2022 by Durgan
Twenty six litters of juice was obtained from about 18 liters of black currants from six bushes in my garden. Each liter of processed juice contains about 250 grams of berries after water was added to make the product drinkable.

Process is wash and clean, added enough water to make drinkable and cook until soft, beat into a slurry with a hand blender. Strain through a butterfly hand strainer using a 2 mm mesh screen to remove seeds. Pour the juice into one liter jars (7) the capacity of the pressure canner. Pressure can at 15 PSI for 15 minutes to sterilize for long term storage at room temperature.
Pictures depict the process. Copy and paste the URL into your browser to view. I pressure can about 400 liters of all plant food yearly and never had any spoilage. I usually open two jars and mix and drink during the day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Great processing info thanks. Looks like lovely juice! It's the first year my plant has produced a proper amount. Any tips to know when to pick the currents? everytime I pop one it seems a bit green inside like jelly with seeds? they're pretty plump now though, some maybe a bit over half an inch wide

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
All the berries need be uniform color (black). Pick a truss (clump) not indivual berries. A typical bush can yield 10 pounds.
Picking is not easy. I usually use a chair and pick for an hour of so. It is hard on the back. Clean after picking. They make a fine desirable juice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Right thanks, well mine are all completely black on the outside, have been for a while but I can't find a picture of the inside of one so I can only guess they need a bit longer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I have never looked at the inside of the berry. I determine ripenes by the outide black color. The timing was perfect this year. There were no green berries. The berries are never very sweet, but good enough to ingest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Right thanks, seems I've probably left it a bit late this time then and it's non stop rain now. At least I did well with my strawberries this year.
Actually I just noticed the one's that have fell off look redder inside and smell better so sod it I'm going to grab them all. There's not much anyway. Hopefully combined with the other ones I bought recenty I'll do better next time round.
Thanks for the processing guide.

Last edited:

Ask a Question