Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
21 May 2020 Mulch in Garden
Posted on May 21, 2020 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2020/May 2020/21 May 2020 Mulch in Garden/HTML/ 21 May 2020 Mulch in Garden
Ten yards of mulch was delivered to my driveway. Over the next few days it will be spead in my garden Cost was tn dollars a yard and twenty dollars delivery charge.About seven wheelbarrows are a yard.I started with the tomato patch.
dsc_4159_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I use leaves from last year as mulch for tomato's, peppers, and okra. they break down easy in fall. is that not a good thing to do?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Leaves tend not to stay in place. Sometimes they bunch up and become almost like a wet magazine. I find one year old wood chips to be ideal for my application.

Above all I do believe in mulch. Probably anything to cover bare ground is a plus.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My mulch comes from the local utility co. for free. This year they delivered over 50 yards. They have crews out working the utility lines especially in spring and are happy to have a place to dump the mulch close to the area they are working. Plus I normally have some onions and/or potatoes to give them as reward.

I use it in the grape arbor, blackberry patch, around fruit trees, and in flower beds but never in the vegetable garden. It just gets in the way of my cover crops in the garden which I use 365 days of the year. A front end loader makes short work of moving and spreading it.

mulch.JPG

Ask a Question