12 October 2016 Dehydrating Vegetables (Slurry to Powder)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/October 2016/12 October 2016 Dehydrating Vegetables/HTML/ 12 October 2016 Dehydrating Vegetables
Dehydrating vegetables from a slurry into a powder for storage at room temperature. The vegetables available were onion, sweet potato, tomato, and egg plant.The nixtamalized corn 1/2 cup was added to prevent the slurry from sticking to the pan during dehydration.The material was dehydrated in an Excalibur for about 12 hours. The dried product was blended into a powder and stored in a 250 ml jar for storage at room temperature. Pictures depict the process.
12%20october%202016%20dehydrating%20022_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting! Do you use that to make stock?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
At present I use a tablespoon on my baked potatoes of various. The gruel I recondition in the microwave, as I do soy beans. Tomatoes I use as a powder and sometimes make into a paste. The usable area is still in a flux.

My main interest at this time is making various dried material, with what is available at this season. It appears to be a suitable preservation method of storing nutritional food for off season use.

The ease of preparation is the main attraction. Blending the slurry is quick and little mess then dry and make the powder. What I am saying is the labour is minimal.

Fresh is best, But this is limited to a small window in most climates. I am now facing about 5 months of no growth out doors. The method proposed is feasible in the home. Most people will not slice and dice the conventional way for dehydrating. It is too time consuming.

Last edited:

Ask a Question