1 June 2016 Dracunculus Vulgaris

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/June%202016/1%20June%202016%20Dracunculus%20Vulgaris/HTML/ 1 June 2016 Dracunculus Vulgaris
This grows very year from two bulbs planted ten years ago. The vegetation disappears completely during the Summer. When the flowers first open they have strong unpleasant odor to attract insects for pollination. Has no human uses except for the rather unique flower.
Dracunculus Vulgaris
The voodoo lily (Arum dracunculus) is also called black arum, dragonwort and dragon arum. It is also known as the stink lily because of the unpleasant aroma the flower emits to attract its main pollinators, such as flies, beetles and ants. They are native to Mediterranean Europe, the Balkans and southwest Turkey.
1%20june%202016%20dracunculus%20vulgaris0663_std.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a growing colony of Dragon Arum (Dracunculus vulgaris) on a partly shades slope in my garden. Every Spring I look forward to its dramatically cut foliage with white markings and the immensely stunning inflorescences of purple spathe and black spadix that often follow. For two or three days, each inflorescence will emit a foul odor, but I only notice it when I'm very near the plant.
This tuberous Aroid (Araceae) is native to Italy, the Balkan Peninsula, Anatolia, and northern Algeria.
For further exploration of your garden's biota, be sure to inspect the inflorescence for floral pollinators and other visitors. A variety of flies (Diptera) and beetles (Coleoptera) will often be found within the lower spathe.

Ask a Question