Zucchini issues

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
Yesterday morning I noticed one of my zucchini plants had fallen over. I didn't pay any attention to it, it happens all the time. After work I did my daily garden check/harvest and I noticed half the leaves on the plant are suddenly dying. I didn't notice any problems at all the day before. What is this? I righted the plant back up and cut off all the effected leaves, which was literally half of all the leaves. Pictures are attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6551[1].JPG
    IMG_6551[1].JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_6552[1].JPG
    IMG_6552[1].JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
Negatory, that bed hasn't seen ferts in over 2 weeks, plus I only add ferts below the surface. I've never seen anything like it, it looked like it started at the leaf tips of all the effected leaves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks like either cut-worm or slug damage . They eat the stem and cut off nutrients to the leaves, and eventually kill the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
I checked all the stems for damage and didn't see any. Plus, wouldn't the leaf wilt/die all at once instead of it radiating from the tip down?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cut-worm damage is below the surface, and no, leaves will start dying from the tip down as they loose the nutrients to keep them alive. The damage doesn't have to be very large, think of a paper cut on your finger,and that little tag of skin that turns hard and falls off.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
oddly enough, it's been two days and it looks fine aside from some spots on some of the leaves. Very confusing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like a little predation, which I would just live with, and wind/heat burn.
The spots on the leaves could be mildew, use 1 milk to 10 water as a foliant spray.
I use a cheap mineral water which has a certified pH above 7, because you want a mildly alkaline solution.
Plants look ok otherwise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yesterday morning I noticed one of my zucchini plants had fallen over. I didn't pay any attention to it, it happens all the time. After work I did my daily garden check/harvest and I noticed half the leaves on the plant are suddenly dying. I didn't notice any problems at all the day before. What is this? I righted the plant back up and cut off all the effected leaves, which was literally half of all the leaves. Pictures are attached.
we had to give up growing them that bug shaped like a triangle took everything 2 yrs. in a row

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
Could be a vine borer, one of the remaining older leaves started dying and I noticed some saw dust looking stuff around the base of it. I can't tell if it's in the main stem, but I guess I'll find out soon enough if the entire plant dies. I have the worst luck with these guys, vine borers wiped out all my squashes last year as well.

Ask a Question