Problems with my Zucchini, any one able to identify the cause?

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys,

First time vegetable gardening this year and first post! I have some problems with my, otherwise healthy looking, zucchini plant! Since yesterday it started to show holes in the leafs: http://imgur.com/a/gN8Gd . After today it has spread to young new leafs: http://imgur.com/a/W0FWA . It makes me worried because I feel like it might be early symptoms of a disease. I have not seen any squash bugs or snails, the amount of aphids underneath the leaves is also very small.

Is anyone able to identify the problem and cause?

With kind regards,
Kraanwater

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That wet trail on the first set of pictures reminds me of the slime trail left by slugs or snails. Does it seem to be happening mainly at night? Slugs are mostly nocturnal - you might want to go out at night with a flashlight and check.

upload_2017-6-1_11-29-42.jpeg
. . .
upload_2017-6-1_11-30-20.jpeg

upload_2017-6-1_11-35-44.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hey Mary Mary,

I checked all leaves, the bottom of the pot and there was no snail trail running up the pot/on the ground/on the stems. However, the damage in your second picture seems to resemble the same as mine, so I'll check it at night! :)

Thanks!

With kind regards,
Kraanwater

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Second picture looks like a caterpillar has been chomping the leaf.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. :)

Slugs can hide themselves very cleverly during the day time. If you find slugs, do you have a product called Sluggo available to you? I know you can buy it on Amazon. It's an organic bait that works only on snails and slugs and it's the only thing I've found to work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hi. :)

Slugs can hide themselves very cleverly during the day time. If you find slugs, do you have a product called Sluggo available to you? I know you can buy it on Amazon. It's an organic bait that works only on snails and slugs and it's the only thing I've found to work.
Yeah they are sneaky critters.
Was weeding yesterday and moved an upturned pot i had left in the garden and inside was a half dozen good sized slugs.
Go out at night after it's been raining with a torch and you'll find many snails etc...you didn't know were even there.

Ask a Question