Help! How can I save my acer with scorched leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I grew this Acer from a seedling and have had it about 20 years so I desperately want to save it if I can!

I'm in the UK, and it's still early Spring here. A couple of weeks ago the Spring buds were opening and the young leaves were all coming to life nicely. I began watering it on hot days. It's in a fairly sheltered spot, but can be in full sun for a few hours in the morning.

We had a few very stormy days last week with rain and high winds, followed by a couple of really hot sunny days last weekend. I was busy last weekend and neglected to water it, and on Monday I noticed that all the leaves were drooping, and many look scorched and dried out, and a bit crispy to the touch.

I immediately watered it, thinking it had just got dry over the hot weekend and that it would perk up, but now I'm worried that perhaps it had too much water, or that the damage was caused by the stormy winds last week. The soil is currently quite moist, so I've temporarily removed the small rocks I normally keep on top of the soil to prevent evaporation. I've also poked some narrow holes down into the soil and given it a feed.

But I don't know what to do now! My main question is, should I pull off the dried / scorched leaves and/or prune it back a bit and hope that a second crop of buds and leaves grow? Does that even happen? If literally the whole crop of new leaves have all died, is it possible that it will still grow new ones? (It is still early Spring)

It's been in that pot for about five years and normally does really well so I'm doubtful that it's a drainage problem, but maybe I should try repotting it with fresh potting compost and check the roots? Or even pop it in the ground instead.

Very grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 7
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The first thing I notice is that that pot is nowhere near big enough for a tree that age. and the second thing is that you have probably drowned it.
I don't think there are many parts of Somerset that have acid soil, and that's what this tree needed.
You might find out if it's still alive by scraping off a little bit of bark with your thumb nail, and see if there is any green underneath. If there is, the best chance would be to get a bigger pot and some ericaceous compost and transfer it into there.
Inspect the roots carefully to find out if there's any rotting. If there is - just some, it can be removed with sharp clean secateurs. Test your soil for pH values (acid is under 7)

What a way to welcome you to the forums! - but welcome anyway :)
Could you let us know how it goes please? It would be so good to know if you have saved the tree or not. Good luck. By the way. @zigs used to live in Somerset in West Bay before he moved here to Kent, are you anywhere near there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The first thing I notice is that that pot is nowhere near big enough for a tree that age. and the second thing is that you have probably drowned it.
I don't think there are many parts of Somerset that have acid soil, and that's what this tree needed.
You might find out if it's still alive by scraping off a little bit of bark with your thumb nail, and see if there is any green underneath. If there is, the best chance would be to get a bigger pot and some ericaceous compost and transfer it into there.
Inspect the roots carefully to find out if there's any rotting. If there is - just some, it can be removed with sharp clean secateurs. Test your soil for pH values (acid is under 7)

What a way to welcome you to the forums! - but welcome anyway :)
Could you let us know how it goes please? It would be so good to know if you have saved the tree or not. Good luck. By the way. @zigs used to live in Somerset in West Bay before he moved here to Kent, are you anywhere near there?

Thank you for the advice! I wondered about repotting it but am nervous about putting additional stress on it right now. I've also actually been struggling to find any pots that are bigger than this one (it's 50cm diameter and 40cm deep), but I did see some half-whisky barrels for sale today that might work.

Do you think there's any benefit on removing the dead leaves (bearing in mind its pretty much all of them at this point)?

And thank you for the welcome! I know of West Bay, but I'm about two hours north of there!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are up by the Mendips, I reckon your soil would be chalky, but you need to check that first. Leaves on or off makes no difference at this point. A thumb nail test is necessary. Unless you get it out of the pot to look at the state of the roots, you won't have much chance of saving it at this point I think. It looks dead from your photos.
A large compost bag filled with ericaceous compost and added horticultural grit - with holes torn out of the bottom for drainage would be good enough for now to save the tree IF it's still alive. If you think about it you cannot put additional stress on a dead tree anyway. If you leave it, and it's alive, it will probably snuff it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are up by the Mendips, I reckon your soil would be chalky, but you need to check that first. Leaves on or off makes no difference at this point. A thumb nail test is necessary. Unless you get it out of the pot to look at the state of the roots, you won't have much chance of saving it at this point I think. It looks dead from your photos.
A large compost bag filled with ericaceous compost and added horticultural grit - with holes torn out of the bottom for drainage would be good enough for now to save the tree IF it's still alive. If you think about it you cannot put additional stress on a dead tree anyway. If you leave it, and it's alive, it will probably snuff it.

Alrighty. Operation repot first thing tomorrow then. I’ll let you know if it comes back! 🤞

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Generally speaking. I have to agree with Tetters. In the case of pot/container grown plants, there are several requirements that need to be attended to. Compared to a plant growing in the open ground, where unseen by us everything is on the move. Growing in a container. The soil/compost remains static. So we have to in addition to watering, we have to feed the soil and plant. Apart from artificial feeds, a top dressing/mulch is beneficial. In time the soil/compost can become sour and all manner of micro-critters can attack the roots. Provided good drainage is provided, over watering is doubtful. Watering in bright/hot sunshine, can cause problems. Wind scorch can affect any plant. Winter protection may be required, such as moving the plant to shelter and/or wrapping the container with sacking etc. In general. container grown plants benefit from a total soil/compost change at least every five years, and root pruned plus a larger container. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question