Iceberg roses in Madrid - can they take the sun/heat?

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi all

I have just purchased a climbing iceberg rose which arrives today. I have very recently fallen in love with roses though, so I have no experience and wonder where to put it. I would absolutely love to put it against a fence but I´m worried the sun here will be too strong (this spot gets late afternoon sun from around 3/4pm). I am in Madrid and the summers get hot (up to 41/41 degrees celcius or around 106 F) and the sun is strong. It will also be in a pot (I know it´s not ideal but I´m so in love with roses and this is the only way I can have them!). I could also put it in a shadier spot where it gets some morning sun but not that much. It´s kind of the two extremes. Any advice would be very appreciated, thank you. I have looked online and I can´t see anyone´s experience about growing these roses in Madrid so I´m a bit lost. I have seen one sold in my local nursery so hopefully they can survive here! They didn´t seem to know much about it though...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found that roses love the heat. Late afternoon sun by the fence would be great, and choosing roses there would, in my opinion, be a really good idea. Choose some with perfume, and go for the old fashioned ones I think. Those with a good track record. Plant them alongside Lavender and Rosemary. Those three in a border that's hot would compliment each other so well.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I have found that roses love the heat. Late afternoon sun by the fence would be great, and choosing roses there would, in my opinion, be a really good idea. Choose some with perfume, and go for the old fashioned ones I think. Those with a good track record. Plant them alongside Lavender and Rosemary. Those three in a border that's hot would compliment each other so well.
Thanks for your answer! That's very encouraging. I have read that I should protect them from the intense sun/heat, but nowhere does it give me a definiton of intense (to me 40 degrees is pretty intense!). I see you are in the UK though, have you grown them in hotter countries?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
de Fernán Núñez, 4, Retiro, 28009 Madrid, Spain
1715094037740.png
I suggest you go out and look at rose gardens in Madrid and ask them your questions. I live in England at the moment. 🤐

Ask a Question