Leggy roses

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!!

New here and hoping to get some advise/tips. We have a grouping of knockout roses that have been planted for several years. I know the soil they are in isn’t great (previous home owners were AWFUL with their beds) but they have been rather healthy and full for about 3-4 years.

Just this season, 2 of them (especially the one you can see by the pic) are reeeally leggy looking. Any suggestions on how to get them to “fill out” more? Should I prune off the dead? Dose of rose food/miracle gro? Both? Other?

Thanks for any help/advice!!

Attachments

• IMG_7852.jpeg
    IMG_7852.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7851.jpeg
    IMG_7851.jpeg
    526.5 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They really don't look well do they - is the one in the second picture still alive? Can you get hold of some decent farmyard manure? Miracle grow is, in my opinion, rubbish.
They need pruning, and all dead wood should be cut away. Have these had some water?
I'm really sorry this post seems so negative Tommy, and it's not the way I prefer to say welcome to the forums, but if these were mine, I would be tempted to dig them out.
It might actually be worth having a look to see what the roots are like.
If the previous owners weren't especially good gardeners, turning the soil over on the whole bed and adding some good organic compost and manure could be a good plan. Good luck :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
They really don't look well do they - is the one in the second picture still alive? Can you get hold of some decent farmyard manure? Miracle grow is, in my opinion, rubbish.
They need pruning, and all dead wood should be cut away. Have these had some water?
I'm really sorry this post seems so negative Tommy, and it's not the way I prefer to say welcome to the forums, but if these were mine, I would be tempted to dig them out.
It might actually be worth having a look to see what the roots are like.
If the previous owners weren't especially good gardeners, turning the soil over on the whole bed and adding some good organic compost and manure could be a good plan. Good luck :)

Thanks for the help! Soil definitely could use amended but I am assuming I would only do that if I do choose to dig it out and replace.

For trimming.....when should I cut the dead out? I am thinking that maybe I messed up and trimmed them in the fall and that may be why they are so "leggy". The larger one was definitely the best, bushiest of all of them and now it has just become sort of sparce.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, just looked at them carefully again. I really think they've had it. I would dig them out and burn them. Prepare your soil, and plant something else. I have to say it how it is Tommy.

Ask a Question