Bush Zucchini

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Any one grow these ? I just planted some today and hope they do well, never heard of bush zucchini before , with any luck I'll have lot of zucchini to fry up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Never have heard of that either! Post photos when it starts fruiting...Curious if leaving one to grow baseball bat size (which can happen practically overnight) would cause the whole plant to topple over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, I grew a green and a yellow last year. There was a bit of a problem with pollination at first, and then the squirrels found them, but in all, they produced quite a few smallish fruits. They don't get huge like the vine variety. If you don't pick them, they just turn mushy and brown. They were also delicious !!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I grow them every year (All Green Bush) and always have a huge glut, which I make into home-grown pasta sauce with onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, garlic, oregano and basil, and freeze or jar.

The commonest "problem" with cucurbit pollination, is that they all produce male flowers first, to increase the chances that their pollen will be used on other plants first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I also grow it every year. I like small zucchini with a thin skin. In addition, it is a food that is prepared very quickly and diversely.

@headfullofbees rights. There is a small problem with pollination, especially in the heat or rain.
Then I just take 1-3 male flowers (they have tiny bristles inside), tear off the petals and "work the bee" over the female flowers. Ideally, this should be done in the early morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Update on my bush zucchini, its doing great after I moved it into a large pot

Roses zucchini 001.JPG Roses zucchini 002.JPG

Ask a Question