Grey mould in the greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have inherited a large greenhouse with two mature grape vine growing there. I need to completely disinfect the greenhouse to remove the grey mould that I know is in there, but how can I do it without harming the vines.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Dilute povidone iodine 2 tbsp per gallon. Its a contact killer. Boiling water and dissolving boric acid for waterbased stains and paints is another trick for maintenance. Are they well separated and trellised off the walls and so forth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main pruning for the vine should happen in late autumn/early winter, but a second pruning is a good idea now in spring, so this might be a good time for that. If this was my task, I would use some ordinary household bleach and warm water with a mop and cloth and rubber gloves! Of course, after the initial brushing out. Thoroughly wash every inch of the frame and glass and simply be extra careful with where the vine is, but including the floor area. Use a fungicide spray on and around the vine instead.
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main pruning for the vine should happen in late autumn/early winter, but a second pruning is a good idea now in spring, so this might be a good time for that. If this was my task, I would use some ordinary household bleach and warm water with a mop and cloth and rubber gloves! Of course, after the initial brushing out. Thoroughly wash every inch of the frame and glass and simply be extra careful with where the vine is, but including the floor area. Use a fungicide spray on and around the vine instead.
Welcome to the forums :)
Thanks very much for the info on how I should tackle the problem, is there any particular fungicide you would recommend to do a good job. I’ve found out that my vine varieties are Black Hamburgh and Muscat Hamburgh, if that makes any difference. They are doing very nicely now and I will be giving them a prune at the weekend 👍

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dilute povidone iodine 2 tbsp per gallon. Its a contact killer. Boiling water and dissolving boric acid for waterbased stains and paints is another trick for maintenance. Are they well separated and trellised off the walls and so forth?
Thanks for your kind reply, I’m not sure I can get that product here in the UK.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks very much for the info on how I should tackle the problem, is there any particular fungicide you would recommend to do a good job. I’ve found out that my vine varieties are Black Hamburgh and Muscat Hamburgh, if that makes any difference. They are doing very nicely now and I will be giving them a prune at the weekend 👍
Any copper fungicide will do the job :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Any copper fungicide will do the job :)
[/QUOTE
Thanks for your kind reply, I’m not sure I can get that product here in the UK.
Yeah they call it betadine in the pharmacy so yeah you can in fact get a human medicine that makes a great garden diluted, dilution that you dilute and in dilution, dilute risk.

Copper in water is reporting a 3 ppb and as a metal is of course effective as lead and some others but best we leave the metals generally in the shed and not the garden. Maybe iron but purity has a say in that play.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Be sure to avoid any propaganda that says use it undiluted. The plants think human diet is stupid already and there is no sense in making matters worse with concepts of self medication since the medical facilities have used the product on humans through many wars and exceptionally vigorous filters.

Last edited:

Ask a Question