Unique ideas that turned into either beautiful or ugly garden

Reaction score
claudine - you are right there - hydrogel, water balls or beads could be well the answer - especially as its is said that plants can grow in them without being watered for up to a month - which would be good - as it would only be a monthly occurrence - that you might have to get the step ladder out :D

I love using water beads, balls and hydrogel for decorating indoor plants and they are great for cut flowers too - but like to mix the colors in a similar way to these

water bead apples.jpg

water beads rainbow colors.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I've never been a big fan of hydrogel. I'm sure that it's very convenient to use it, but in my opinion it looks a little too modern. I'm not sure why, but I find the regular soil much prettier. I admit that hydrogel looks very tidy though.

This is a nice color combination:

24125003-beautiful-flowers-in-vase-with-hydrogel-isolated-on-white.jpg

Reaction score
claudine - you are right there - hydrogel, water balls or beads could be well the answer - especially as its is said that plants can grow in them without being watered for up to a month - which would be good - as it would only be a monthly occurrence - that you might have to get the step ladder out :D

I love using water beads, balls and hydrogel for decorating indoor plants and they are great for cut flowers too - but like to mix the colors in a similar way to these

View attachment 1853

View attachment 1852

Those are really pretty and I like the glass apple containers. But how do the plants get nutrients without soil? Is the Hydrogel enriched with plant food?

Reaction score
Cammie27, I'm glad that you like this thread:) Your area sounds like a wonderful place!

I found something really gorgeous, I'm sure everyone here will like it too:

Picture-4.png

These plants and flower pots look like a piece of art, don't they? I love how simple and tidy this decoration is. I find it perfect:love::love:

That is a stunning photo. I wish there was a pop of color somewhere, like a red flower or a red vase, but it's a really elegant and modern grouping overall.

Reaction score
I would agree that hydrogel can look a little too modern at times - but think it depends a lot on the type of container its in as well how much of it you have around - which in my case is very little as I normally only use it in the outdoor seating areas - where it suits the surroundings :D I do however, as I live in a hot climate find it very useful for mixing in with soil in order not to have water my plants too often - as for the color combination - I actually quite like purple and yellow combinations in various shades - but only in small quantities.

As we been posting various ideas for decorating tree old stumps and discussing moss covered items in another thread - I just could resist posting this absolutely gorgeous idea for decorating an old tree stump in a shady area

Unusual gardens - Forest moss house.jpg

I just wish I had some old tree trunks that I could this with - its a truly gorgeous idea :)

Reaction score
Those are really pretty and I like the glass apple containers. But how do the plants get nutrients without soil? Is the Hydrogel enriched with plant food?

No unfortunately Hydrogel doesn't normally come enriched with plant food and if growing plants in hydrogel or any of the other various makes like " magic water beads " or " crystal water balls " you would have to use a liquid fertilizer in order to feed them - but think that there are a few manufacturers - that do sell water beads with fertilizer incorporated in the beads and the first name that springs to mind - are the ones called " magic crystal mud beads " - but don't let the name put you off - because they look identical to the ones that don't contain fertilizer and don't look at all mud like :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love this old tree trunk, Gata Montes, it looks like a perfect place for fairies, I'm sure they would love to live in it:D Unfortunately, I don't have any tree trunks in my garden. My parents got rid of them:(

This is a nice idea, I like that these plants look almost like paintings:p:

garden%20decorating%20ideas.jpg

Reaction score
Claudine - certainly a very neat idea - but a little to regimented and orderly for my taste and particularly so as I don't like plants displayed in straight lines and prefer a more natural look - but think like you - that the unique way of displaying plants so that they look like paintings is a nice touch and a lovely way of brightening up what would otherwise be a rather bland looking fence panel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think that maybe it would look more natural if somebody planted a few climbing plants there. An ivy would look good, or a climbing rose, there are many options to choose from. Personally, I like how tidy it is though. Looking at it calms me down:)

Reaction score
i'm not far enough into this to say weather it will be beautiful or not, but i guess it will be unique

exteriorsoutdoorsub001.jpg

got two of these from a plastics recycling place. big pvc pipes. 32" dia. and about 4' high. their main purpose, i hope, will be as outdoor subs for my outdoor theater, but if i can get them built like i plan, i'll paint them a terra cotta color and the top section will be a big flower pot.
Okay, I have to admit, this is kind of cute. This person made the toilet into a working fountain so it's a water element and a planter. I don't completely hate it. If someone insists on using a toilet, this isn't too bad.

c6da38174399be2c5873d97e5e0bc061.jpg
Okay, I have to admit, this is kind of cute. This person made the toilet into a working fountain so it's a water element and a planter. I don't completely hate it. If someone insists on using a toilet, this isn't too bad.

c6da38174399be2c5873d97e5e0bc061.jpg

Ok, this toilet I like! Maybe it's the white cat watching the water. I would have gone with something more colorful for the plant though.

Reaction score
I love this old tree trunk, Gata Montes, it looks like a perfect place for fairies, I'm sure they would love to live in it:D Unfortunately, I don't have any tree trunks in my garden. My parents got rid of them:(

This is a nice idea, I like that these plants look almost like paintings:p:

garden%20decorating%20ideas.jpg

I like the idea, but I think it's too perfect. I wish it had more character, like the frames were painted different colors or made from reclaimed barn wood or something cool like that. These look like wall shelves from Target.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You are right, ACSAPA, but I can't help it, I like when things around me are very simple and tidy. I'm pretty sure I could be happy in an almost empty room. It calms me down when everything is in order:)
My messy, weedy lawn is the only one exception:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
I love the ideas in this thread. I showed a few to my parents as they're looking for something to spruce up the backyard and they love the wall pots. I personally like the toilets- might as well use them instead of throwing them out, especially considering how much we spend on decorative pots. Slap on some non-toxic paint, cover up the base and I'm sure it would look just fine.

Reaction score
The concept of using used tyres to plant flowers as always appealed to me. What do you think?

olivewood-gardens-tire-planters.jpg

Ask a Question