Pintch flowers off determinate?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never grow determinate before. I put then in the ground a week ago, they are only about 12inchs when I put em in the dirt, I burried em another 6 inches.

I thought determinate produce all at once, like 1 or 2 months from now... why are they already flowering? Does this mean tiny harvest? Should I pitch em?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some plants are semi-determinate. Keep in mind if you remove the blooms on determinates, you are lowering your harvest. I have pruned Rutgers before. Those are the bushiest tomatoes I have ever seen and seems like they actually grew twice as much so I scratched my head on that one. I try to keep mine pruned for airflow if I grow determinates because the humidity around here in the Summer really puts the blight on. I make up for it by growing more plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, I won't pinch... they are roma vf... was just worries I was gonna get a tiny harvest from tiny determinate plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've also seen this, which is weird right? The plant tops itself and takes off from a sucker?

Attachments

• 1000006112.jpg
    1000006112.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've also seen this, which is weird right? The plant tops itself and takes off from a sucker?
Not weird. That actually can happen with indeterminate tomatoes too. About every year I will have one stem do that out of about 2 dozen tomatoes. I double stem mine so 2 stems per plant (indeterminate). I always leave a top sucker when I prune just in case it happens so the vine can keep growing.

Ask a Question