Something is ripping my flowers clean off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope this is the right place to ask about something like this!

So bunch of my perennials mostly the Tulip types are being ripped or cut off right where the stem meets the flower. This is the first bloom over at the east coast and just a few days after they fully bloom something is ripping them clean off. My garden is a safe haven for all kinds of critters and birds so I assume its one of them. Thing is this didnt happen last year or maybe I didnt notice. Now I dont want to kick these creatures out but maybe there is a way to prevent them from going after the garden so much. Issue is my garden is very dense and pretty big.

I dont want to use chemicals, traps. A natural deterrent for certain zones maybe? Things that wont kick out the creatures or hurt them but push them away from certain parts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I also thought of deer. One yard customer had several tulip plants bothered by deer in his neighborhood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've seen birds and squirrels eat flowers off my plants.

I wasn't able to get a pic of the squirrels, but I did manage to get pics of Cardinals and what I believe is a Baltimore Oriole.

Cardinals (both male and female) eating flowers of my Coral Honeysuckle.

014.JPG
017.JPG
012.JPG
010.JPG

I think this is a Baltimore Oriole, but whatever, it's eating the flowers of my Moringa tree. He never got closer then about 30 feet and stayed in the heavy foliage.

DSCN2799.JPG
RSCN2801.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting, there is a Northern cardinal nest like really close to where this is happening so that might be it. If thats the case imma let them rock. Looks like she is sitting on eggs. I enjoy the male shooting lasers at me when im in the yard haha.

Ask a Question