Maple Tree Wound- Should I Do Something or Leave It Alone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello All!
For the last many years, there has been a hole near the base of a maple tree in my yard. Ants used to climb in & out of the hole, but I've been pretty consistent about sprinkling boric acid around the hole. There are no longer ants.

But, the hole is deeper than in years past. Today, it is just about to the center of the approximately 3 foot diameter trunk. It is very damp inside, despite no rain for a week or more.

The hole is about 2" diameter, but isn't actually round. (To better explain: Two fingers next to each other can fit inside.) The trunk is dipped in like a cavern for about 18" around the hole. There is bark in the dished area. The hole is about 6" above the ground.

Should I seal the hole with something or leave it alone and hope this nice tree lives?

Photos are attached. I apologize that they are fuzzy. I could not get the camera to focus well. (The white around the hole is boric acid.)

Thank You For Advising,
Paul

Attachments

• Wound Photo A.jpg
    Wound Photo A.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Wound Photo B.jpg
    Wound Photo B.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
United States
It would be best to leave it alone and don't seal the hole up. Unfortunately, the tree is in distress because the presence of holes means that an insect infestation or other disease has attacked it. You can just wait and see what it does or how long it lasts, but your tree is diseased.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It would be best to leave it alone and don't seal the hole up. Unfortunately, the tree is in distress because the presence of holes means that an insect infestation or other disease has attacked it. You can just wait and see what it does or how long it lasts, but your tree is diseased.
Also, I would keep all the dead limbs pruned off so I could watch if it's in rapid decline.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank You Oneeye for explaining & for taking time to help.
I'll be sure to follow your advice and keep the dead limbs pruned off and watch for decline.

Thank You Again,
Paul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I, but almost nothing else you mix ant killer with a bit of sugar and water to a paste then smear it on a slate, put on a couple of broken bits of slate and another on top it makes a slot that the ants can get in, but almost nothing else. sheet glass is almost as good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank You, CPP Gardener for the advice about boric acid.
I'll try your and sandwich if they come back to the tree, Oilver.

Thanks Again!
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would not focus on the ants. I would put cornmeal in the hole and around the base of the tree. This is a whistle to call trichoderma. It is a fungus that will eat any pathogenic fungi that may be in the hole. The ants like moisture but hate fungus in their nest so there may not be any anyway which is a good thing for a repair.

There is an idea about how to create uniform "wound wood" that will cover the hole if it is not too large. This idea requires a razor cut around the perimeter in a smooth line through the outer green bark much like the air layering propagation method. Exposed, the skin regrows but not in a ragtag torn way as a broken twin can create.

But what to do internally? The problem can be rot. That is something usually caused by water and biofilms. It is not an easy thing to fix because a hollow root leads to a blown over tree and pretty much whatever goes in a hole like cement will shrink and a bad border gap internally can result. If tree loss is not harmful to people or property and you really want to do something, you may consider polyureathane structural adhesive. This material actually uses up water in setting, and swells slightly in the process. It will permanently bond to exposed pith. It will need a cover for sunlight since uv can degrade it. Perhaps some greensand. Press it right on the sticky glue. Use gloves, no way to clean polyureathane. It will act like a roofing shingle that fertilizes. By cleaning out the hole, structurally filling it, razoring away at the edges for a smooth wound wood scab you can have an impact. It may even heal over in time.

But time...maples are not long lived relatively. It may be a waste of time. How old is the tree? You can core it if you really want to know precisely but a good guess works too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks Bog Rockpile and DirtMechanic for good suggestions & ideas.

I never knew that peppermint was a deterrent. I'll put some in a pot and give it a go.

I was familiar with cornmeal killing insects, but didn't know it helped trichoderma grow. I'll surely use some of that. Hopefully the tree will benefit. Being the chld of my mother from northern Italy, I always have plenty of cornmeal around for making polenta. Mmmmm! Good!

I can't guess how old the tree is, other than by diameter and height. The trunk is about 3 feet diameter and the height is, perhaps, 15 feet. I think, but am not sure, that it is Silver Maple.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks Bog Rockpile and DirtMechanic for good suggestions & ideas.

I never knew that peppermint was a deterrent. I'll put some in a pot and give it a go.

I was familiar with cornmeal killing insects, but didn't know it helped trichoderma grow. I'll surely use some of that. Hopefully the tree will benefit. Being the chld of my mother from northern Italy, I always have plenty of cornmeal around for making polenta. Mmmmm! Good!

I can't guess how old the tree is, other than by diameter and height. The trunk is about 3 feet diameter and the height is, perhaps, 15 feet. I think, but am not sure, that it is Silver Maple.
Big One! We have those out front. About that size and age. One has a catch pocket that I am sure should be rotted but it just keeps on truckin'. I will try to take a picture.

Ask a Question