Steep Sloping bank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a small area of 60 degree sloping bank, topped by a thirsty beech hedge. The soil is bone dry. Weeds thrive there though! We’re too old now to clamber up there, strim it or anything so we want to cover it with coir matting maybe, or something to stabilise it, and after adding manure perhaps, and then form a green bank of sedum or similar. Low maintenance anyway. It’s only 7foot x 8 foot. Any suggestions how to stabilise first please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly Jan, welcome to the forums :) ....and secondly, off the top of my head I cannot straight away think how you can achieve this job. Maybe while I mull it over, and put my meagre amount of grey matter to the test, someone else will come up with some bright ideas. I hope so. I like the idea of sedums though, good choice. I'm amazed that the bank is bone dry - I thought it rained continuously in Wales :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d love to post a photo as soon as I work out how…..we’ve been thinking of coir matting meanwhile……

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0007.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks for the photos Jan. The above link is just one place where you can buy a pre grown sedum mat. There are several other growers, and for an area as small as that on your site, the cost would be quite favourable.
These mats roll out in a similar way to turf, and are ready to go. People usually use them to create a living roof space. I think that would solve your problem, and give instant results that are very pleasing. Shop around for local suppliers.
This is the perfect time of year to do this job.😌

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks for the photos Jan. The above link is just one place where you can buy a pre grown sedum mat. There are several other growers, and for an area as small as that on your site, the cost would be quite favourable.
These mats roll out in a similar way to turf, and are ready to go. People usually use them to create a living roof space. I think that would solve your problem, and give instant results that are very pleasing. Shop around for local suppliers.
This is the perfect time of year to do this job.😌
Thank you so much, never knew you could buy rolls of sedum! Shall I put a layer of thin coir first, we intend a soil improver or is that too rich for sedum?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing else needed. I would probably rake it over a bit for good contact, and leave out the coir, it is totally uncalled for. The turf is tough enough to withstand being flat on a roof!! There is sufficient on the rolls for the sedums to survive as they are. Just pin the stuff at the top of the bank - or follow the instructions that come with it. Any roots that grow through the back of the roll will make themselves at home in the dry soil on the bank. The whole job will just need a little drizzle now and then and look after itself. Sorted !!
PS NO fertiliser needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By the way Jan, can we have a look when it's all done please. You know how to put photos on now (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing else needed. I would probably rake it over a bit for good contact, and leave out the coir, it is totally uncalled for. The turf is tough enough to withstand being flat on a roof!! There is sufficient on the rolls for the sedums to survive as they are. Just pin the stuff at the top of the bank - or follow the instructions that come with it. Any roots that grow through the back of the roll will make themselves at home in the dry soil on the bank. The whole job will just need a little drizzle now and then and look after itself. Sorted !!
PS NO fertiliser needed.
Major problem, we only need 3 sq mt maximum, deliveries are by pallet , so cost of turf plus £50+ delivery, and we don’t need that much, and all places are a long way from us on the Welsh border. So I think we’ll have to resort to matting of some kind, then buy many many sedum plugs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many gardening friends do you have who might like to share a pallet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many gardening friends do you have who might like to share a pallet?
Zero friends, gardening or otherwise lol. I’ve struck gold at Newent in Gloucestershire and hoping they’ll let me have 3 sq m, I can drive that far.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This place is in Wales.

Ask a Question