Problem with string trimmer. Starter cord mechanism melted

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Hi! I'm new here and this is my first post. Earlier this year, I bought an Al-ko string trimmer. After using it just a few times, the starter cord pulled out and didn't retract. The actual mechanism had melted! Sent it back for repair, and waited 5 weeks to get it back, and they replaced the mechanism. The same thing has just happened again! I'm using the correct petrol/oil ratio, which is 50:1, so I don't understand why it's getting so hot that it's melting the starter cord mechanism. Any help please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Try both a higher octane such as 89 or higher so the fuel is less explosive and try an increased oil ratio. Also detune the top end speed so it runs a little rich as the fuel will act to cool the piston. If it is lean and screaming with no load it is not tuned quite right. Lean is a lot of oxygen and so it can be a bit of a blowtorch. Ask for a replacement design if bad design. Its a relatively new company so maybe they will try harder. I once had a homelite trimmer that literally boiled the gas in the tank and I could not dump it fast enough.

Ask a Question