Lemon tree problem, help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I planted a lemon tree 3 years ago. Actually, it sprouted from a seed. Everything was fine until this year. I started trimming it because the branches were growing thin and tall, and I wanted the tree to be smaller and denser. I don't know what happened, but the young leaves fall off as soon as they appear, leaving only the stem. The roots look okay. I thought maybe the pot was too big, so I replanted it into a smaller one. No change. I've been using organic fertilizer with no change. New leaves appear, but they fall off shortly after and are twisted with yellow veins. The tree has stopped growing. I'm afraid it might die completely. I don't know what to do anymore. Please help.
IMG_7319.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7320.jpeg
    IMG_7320.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It appears from the picture that the tree is suffering from a deficit of minerals, not NPK. I would do two things. First I would apply Chelated Iron as per directions and second I would apply either Azomite or Greensand to the total soil surface in the container

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, Chuck! I’ll try your suggestions and let you know if it helped. Do you know when I should see improvement?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It appears from the picture that the tree is suffering from a deficit of minerals, not NPK. I would do two things. First I would apply Chelated Iron as per directions and second I would apply either Azomite or Greensand to the total soil surface in the container
Sure, here's the corrected version:

"Chuck, I bought Azomite and chelated iron. I’ve been using them since September of last year. I noticed a slight improvement—young leaves weren't falling off, but the older ones were. Some young branches or leaves emerged from the wooden stem, but they died off. The soil stays moist for a long time after I water it. Some leaves are curled, and all of them are yellow instead of green. I placed the tree next to a growth light, thinking it might help, but nothing changed. I'm clueless and about to give up on this one. Can anyone suggest a solution?"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pH of the soil is probably too high. I just read lemons need a pH of 5.5 - 6.5. If the pH is too high, the plant can't uptake the iron even if is there so still looks like you have iron chlorosis which is what your leaves look like.

You need some way to check the pH of the soil.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pH of the soil is probably too high. I just read lemons need a pH of 5.5 - 6.5. If the pH is too high, the plant can't uptake the iron even if is there so still looks like you have iron chlorosis which is what your leaves look like.

You need some way to check the pH of the soil.
You were right, the soil was alkaline, so I added the first batch of acidifier. So far, no leaves have fallen off, but there is no growth. The soil is slowly drying, I suspect because there are few leaves. I will try to repeat the procedure during the next watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You were right, the soil was alkaline, so I added the first batch of acidifier. So far, no leaves have fallen off, but there is no growth. The soil is slowly drying, I suspect because there are few leaves. I will try to repeat the procedure during the next watering.
Dont get carried away with the acid or you'll be on the other end of wrong.

What kind of acid was it?
Have you got some way to check the pH of the soil?

The tree should recover now. Overly damp soil can cause root rot and cause a nutrient uptake deficiency of its own. I use this stuff sometimes. Search for the pour through method of checking the soils pH.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dont get carried away with the acid or you'll be on the other end of wrong.

What kind of acid was it?
Have you got some way to check the pH of the soil?

The tree should recover now. Overly damp soil can cause root rot and cause a nutrient uptake deficiency of its own. I use this stuff sometimes. Search for the pour through method of checking the soils pH.
😅I water the tree once every 2 or even 3 weeks. The soil stays wet for a long time. The pot has one drainage hole, so it is not waterlogged. I might check the pH again. Although the acidified tablets are still visible in the soil, they haven’t dissolved completely ( not all of them) I might just use regular water for the next watering and then check the pH.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It takes a while for sulfur to break down and microbes do the work. They convert elemental sulfur to sulfuric acid which acidifies the soil.

Try watering with distilled water. That may help the plant a little quicker.

Ask a Question