Vine and bushes greening late and dying

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello im in vancouver, bc.

I have this vine on a trellis in my backyard. It's quite hearty and was well established when we moved into the house in 2020. That year it was green and lush in April. Since then it doesn't get green until late May.

I have the same problem with a large Clementis on the arbor in the front. It got worse and now died and I have replanted.

Does anyone know what the vine is called and what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_2011.jpeg
    IMG_2011.jpeg
    386.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2010.png
    IMG_2010.png
    1,016.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2008.png
    IMG_2008.png
    850 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums. By the nature of this plant and the shape of the leaves, I would guess that it's a braided Willow, but I'm really not sure. Does it flower? Without doing some homework, all I can suggest at the moment is to consider if this plant seems to require an extreme amount of water, or if it may be lacking nourishment. All plants like to have compost and/or manure added to the soil too.
It's hard to comment on the clematis without being able to see it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. The Clementis is dead so no photos, but it did well then in mid winter all the leaves slowly went brown and fell off. Last year it did the same thing but then started growing again in spring. Year before it stayed green all winter.

For the other vine... Sorry I wish I had pictures of it flowered, but yes it flowers in early summer. Here is a picture of it now, sorry for it being at night but to see the scope of it. It doesn't look like a braided willow to me googling it. The branches all vine and fall down they don't stand up.

The flowers are very small, plentiful, a white/pink colour and last a couple of weeks. Humming birds love them.

There is a ton of rain here so I cant expect that it is a lack of water... I water it in summer by hand but it never seems to struggle... Once it's green it thrives pretty good on it own.

I do fertilize it with miracle grow. It's under rocks /landscape fabric so it's hard to add compost. Is there a better way to fertilize?

Maybe this would help you and others more to help me. Thank you for your time!
IMG_2058.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe the roots have rotted. With all the rain and being covered with all that plastic and rock they can't hardly breathe can they. The roots have an awful lot of top growth to support.
That miracle grow stuff is not a good product in my opinion. I'd get rid of the plastic and rock and dig the ground to let it breath, then put some good manure on and top with natural organic mulch.
Have you done the finger nail test on the bark to see if it's green still underneath?

The other possibility of course is that it is still dormant and waiting for the weather to pick up. That's happening here where we are, as the weather has been exceptionally cold to start the growing season.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think I've discovered it's a Jasmine vine. Some of the vines are changing colour, not green yet but tan so hoping that's them getting ready to pop.

Finger nail test is tough, bark is very thick

Ask a Question