Clematis Rebecca,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, I am Mick, a newbie and I live in Bournemouth, United kingdom.
I purchased and planted, a clematis (Rebbeca) two years ago, it was duly planted and has been growing successfully since then on a sturdy trellis in my front south facing garden.
This year 2024 we had some very strong winds, in March and April, which snapped off all the growing shoots, as a result (in early May) my clematis is flowering profusely, but is little more than a 15 inches high, and not covering my trellis as it did last year.
Is it feasible to prune it now (May 6th) to encourage it to grow taller later in the year, and if so where on the plant should I make the cuts.
Would appreciate any feed back,
Thank you Mick D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If it helps, Rebecca is a Group 2 pruning Clematis. When pruning group 2 Clematis, remove any damaged or dead stems entirely before cutting back the remaining stems to a pair of healthy buds. This is usually done in early spring. Personally I would let it flower and then remove the spent flowers for this year.

Ask a Question