Problem Neighbour. Thoughts Please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We've had the same neighbour for 14 years or so. We've always got on ok, but didn't have an awful lot to do with him.

Last year he had an extension built. It was pretty awful - couldn't really enjoy the garden becasue of scafolding overlooking us. But we were fine with that - just one of those things.

Things got REALY bad when the workmen went home at night. He'd strut over the scafolding - master of al he surveyed. He could see every part of our garden. Towards the end of last year the final step was completed - the deck. Planning permission said the deck would be 1m wide. He made it 3 m wide. Because of the slope of the gardens his deck is ABOVE fence level.

The worse part - he's become an absolute nightmare for talking at you for hours on end. You can't get away from him. Everyone in the street avoids him like the plague.

We didn't report him to planning. Instead came up with a plan to build a pergola that would give us the privacy we needed at the top of the garden. It needed to be about 10 foot high to give us privacy but it worked. That and some mature bamboo plants. It cost us a fortune but we had our garden back. The bottom of the garden wasn't a problem because he had tall trees all down the boundary line.

We thought the problem was solved.
Yesterday we had a spell of nice weather and were sitting down the bottom of the garden. We heared frantic electric saw noises. He's spent the last two days cutting a 3 - 4 foot gap in his trees above the 6 foot fence. So essentially a 'window' so that he can overlook our garden. Same on the other side - they have it worse as his deck overlooks their patio doors - he can stare right into their lounge. There were trees to give them privacy but he's cut them all down.

No idea what's happened, but he's clearly ina fit of rage. I don't want to talk to him because he is a bit dificult. He falls out with everyone - even his own family.

We've come up with a plan to build various structures out of wood that will be legal and will ensure our privacy urgently. We're also planting fast growing hedges. So the problem is solved.

Just wondered if anyone else has experience of a difficult neighbour like this? My guess is he's lonely an in a rage because people are enjoying their lives. He just wants to make others miserable. I do have sympathy, but he's a bit uhinged and that makes him dangerous. As I say, he badmouths his own son to anyone that will listen.

He doesn't like being ignored. Everytime you do something to restore your privacy he escalates.

I don't want to talk to the neighbours on the other side. I don't like gossip. I know they're angry - the socialize outside a lot and used to use the patio outside their lounge. His new deck overlooked it so much that they built a big garden room at the bottom of the garden and use that instead. Yesterday he went down to the bottom of his garden and cut away the lower branches on a large confierous tree so he can overlook their new entertainment area. I know that neighbour is angry because he stuck his speakers through the gap and had music playing at full volume for a couple of hours - obviously letting off steam.
it's so unhinged that I'm worried he'll poison our dogs or something. Not that he's given us reason to think that - but he's obviously furious with us. We haven't spoken to him all summer. Haven't seen him. Don't want to see him. He's cost us a fortune and made our lives hell.
Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You know his name and address, volunteer him for a few things to occupy his mind. A few orders he had forgotten about could turn up, COD. The Jehovah's Witnesses might learn of his expressed interest, you get the picture, give him plenty else to think about. Best one I remember was an order for a ton of coal at summer prices, "My wife disagrees, but I am the one who pays , so if she won't let you around the back tip it in the garden and I will barrow it through". when you have pissed off enough people you don't know who to blame.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
We've got 'overlooking' laws here. He's probably illegal and approaching the council should work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Had a neighbor that didn't like that I was working on cars at home. Mind you, the garage was set back from the road and was shielded by trees, basically not visible from public property.

She 2as constantly calling zoning about me, and one time called the sheriff claiming I had explosives in the garage.

Eventually she got one of the township trustees to invalidate the permit for the garage. The zoning guy said enough is enough and talked to a county judge. The judge said the township can pull the permit, make me tear down the garage. He also stated that it's likely I would sue the township for the financial loss and guaranteed that I would win the suit.

As for Susan's predicament, poison ivy is a wonderful creeping vine. Or, you might offer him some nice fresh picked white carrots that taste a little funny.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As for Susan's predicament, poison ivy is a wonderful creeping vine. Or, you might offer him some nice fresh picked white carrots that taste a little funny.
She is in Scotland, never seen poison ivy this side of the pond. Applying for tree preservation orders could be worth it.

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
My neighbor is 10 times worse! The filth that comes out of her mouth...and she used to be a Catechism teacher Aaand a public school teacher!
You know in the old days we used to tell our children respect their elders...it's a crazy world!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some come from Canada. They wanted me to sell them third of my property. It's not happening.

So they decided to use my property anyway.

Went to a Lawyer. He told us to just put up a Wire with No Trespassing Signs.

One day I decided to take the wire down.

No sooner get it down and papers come suing us for bunch of our property because we weren't using it.

Finally they had a Privacy Fence put up on the Line.

First off they cut the fence short so they could use my drive. I wire up.

They had the fence made shorter by their Deck so they could see my Trees. Simple fix kill them.

One time a woman came over wanting to know if she could Treat the fence? Nope.

This is a good one. They take the Dog to the KOA to take a dump.

All they had to do is come talk to me and they could use my drive.

One time they put Satellite Dish on me I told him about. Well I guess I'll have to move it.

The place had been surveyed twice. Came home he had Surveyors out there again. Told him that was a waste of money the pins hadn't moved.

big rockpile

Last edited:

Ask a Question