Rhododendron leaf problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two Rhododendron, two different types of leafs, last year one plant got burnt on leafs from the really hot sun we had, this year I have problems with the new leafs as in picture below, can anyone help, I have dug around it, given it food and put down soil mean for Rhododendrons but no luck, this has only happened since plant got burnt.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1406.jpeg
    IMG_1406.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1407.jpeg
    IMG_1407.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
United States
Rhododendron and azaleas need acidic soil to thrive. If they are planted in even slightly alkaline soil they will have problems. Why do nurseries and garden shops sell them to people with alkaline soil? Because they don't care and want to make money because Rhododendrons and Azaleas are big hits and good sellers and bring in a hefty price per unit. Your soil pH for these plants needs to be between 4.5-6.0 pH.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Planting Rhododendron and Azaleas it's best to dig out the soil and replace it with peat moss and ground pine bark. Use a slow-release or time-release fertilizer mixed with the substrate. At about 3 to 5 years the plants need to be taken up and the substrate needs to be changed and the plants replanted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two Rhododendron, two different types of leafs, last year one plant got burnt on leafs from the really hot sun we had, this year I have problems with the new leafs as in picture below, can anyone help, I have dug around it, given it food and put down soil mean for Rhododendrons but no luck, this has only happened since plant got burnt.

Thank you
Hi Jules, firstly, do you know what kind of soil you have there in Essex? Ours in Kent is very chalky.
I think that if yours there is acid enough you will be quite right to blame the heatwave of last summer for the leaf damage. The lack of water was enough to kill loads of my plants !!
If your soil is acidic, I think it would be a good idea to make sure it has enough water now and put some mulch around it to keep the moisture in (not right up to the stem though) I would also take the ugly leaves off to make the plants look a bit better, and see how they grow on for next year. A good feed with a suitable rhododendron plant food might help a bit too. Good luck.

As a PS..... although rhododendrons don't usually require much feeding, in this case I would suggest some fish blood and bone to be applied around about the end of August or into September, because that's when they will be making buds for next years flowers.

Last edited:

Ask a Question