Dying indoor palm plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've had this low-maintenance hanging palm plant for years. It has done very well! Over the last month it's suddenly taken a turn for the worse. All of the fronds appear to be drying out and I think they're dying, turning from yellow to brown. I have not changed anything in the way I care for it or its location. Do these photos help identify what's wrong? I've always had it in one of those "self-watering" hanging pots with a reservoir of water that collects on the bottom that then wicks up to water the roots via a built-in piece of fabric. Does that wicking fabric have a finite lifespan? Maybe it eventually gets clogged with minerals and debris and stops working? I have also never really changed the soil (does its nutrients ever get exhausted)? Thanks in advance for your anyone's advice.
IMG_3737.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did a tree get removed/trimmed outside the window? It looks like it is getting more light than it used to.
The wicking should last indefinitely. Have you ever fertilized it? Have you ever leached it?
It doesn't look very promising. The amount of browning of the foliage leaves very little live tissue to continue growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for your advice @cpp gardener. I had wondered if it was related to a change in light coming through the window and there were some trees trimmed some time ago but the timing didn't seem to exactly match the downfall of the plant. I've since moved it to a less sunny location and guess I will watch it with fingers crossed. Meanwhile I do fertilize it occasionally (though probably not as often as I should) and have leached it occasionally as well (ditto probably not enough). I'm feeling guilty because it's been with me for such a long time and always seemed to be healthy and low-maintenance. It has seeded several times and a couple of those times I've tried to save and sprout the seeds but I haven't had any luck. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Ask a Question