I have heard that the UK is being hammered by high winds, and most of the US is having freezing rain

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yeovil will be ok for a while, they got all the major supermarkets there. It's the islands that are the problems, the supply ships can't get out to them in the storms.

One of our UK members just got back from Tesco's on the Isle of Man. This was the vegetable aisle.:eek:
Tesco.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Wow! To see things shut down by the weather is happening in many parts. Looks like a major catastrophe when even the shops can't get refilled. :eek: Glad we always have the pantry filled with the necessities.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, looks like things are pretty bad over in the US right now! I keep seeing reports about heavy snow, frozen floods, etc - hope you guys are all doing ok and staying safe! :eek:

Reaction score
The Midwest and Eastern US is getting some awful weather the past few weeks, temps are going to drop to dangerous levels again this week. Today in Connecticut it is 55 degrees, by tonight we will be down to zero with windchill dropping it further.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
A few shots of the North end of my village today.

DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0011.JPG
DSCF0012.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
And one of the East side.

DSCF0014.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I shouldn't laugh, but that road sign made me chuckle!! Very appropriate :LOL:

I guess there's no sign of it receding just yet then. Have you still been having lots of rain?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It sets alarm bells ringing for insurance companies :D

Still getting some horrendous storms, hill tops are saturated now, and its all going to run down & add to this :eek:

DSCF0005.JPG

Reaction score
The great thing about our very cold weather is that it goes away in a few days. I would rather have our short, intensely cold snap that goes away in a couple of days than the long weeks of rain that you folks in the UK are having! :(

We got a warmer snap today (we are having a high of 38, or about 2 Celsius) and so I went out into the sunlight to run errands and now I feel great! I know it might snow again tomorrow, but at least I get a break every now and then. I expect normal winter weather to set in, now.:rolleyes:

You folks in the UK don't seem to be getting any break at all!:cry:

Reaction score
Miserable for those of you who are suffering through it, that doesn't look like its going to go down anytime soon. We are starting to thaw out in Connecticut and should be seeing some temps in the high 40's F by the weekend. Happily we don't have much snow down, it melted when we had 50'sF temps for one day and then in a matter of hours we had a fitfy degree drop in temps. Wild and wacky weather but everyday puts us one day closer to Spring!

Reaction score
The weather in Kansas is still unpleasant, but at least it is now normal for January!

The weather so far has been so cold that the birds in my back yard ate a usual winters worth of birdseed in just 6 weeks. The squirrels helped them eat it but this year I did not chase them off. I felt sorry for them because they were outside in all of that ice and cold!

Now that the weather is normal I am not seeing nearly as many birds out there. Three days ago I set out a new ball of suet but nothing has touched it yet: a great many of the wild birds prefer to forage for themselves. But, sometimes ice covers their wild foods, and then they descend on my backyard feeder in flocks!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aww, that's lovely that you're looking after them Terri :)

Got a feeder out for the Goldfinches, but they've not touched it yet.

During the terrible winter I was born, the UK froze for months. There was a bloke in the east who found loads of Coypus that had escaped from fur farms, freezing to death on the river banks.

He gathered them up and put them on shelves in his shed and put a parrafin heater in there for them :)

Reaction score
Zigs, I would have been afraid of being bitten.

Feeding the birds has its perks: I poured some seed right outside of my living room window, so while I am on-line I can look up and see large numbers of brightly colored birds. And, this summer the non-migratory ones will raise their babies in my back yard, and perform a valuable debugging service.

Ask a Question